Raising or re-routing pipes in basement ceiling

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by woog, Dec 7, 2008.

1. woog

woog New Member

I have a question about basement ceiling pipes, I would like to try to do this myself. If anyone thinks I shouldn't as an amateur please let me know!

In the basement ceiling now I have cold and hot supply line and one hot supply for baseboard heat. There is also a gas line for the dryer which I would like to re-route because I am moving the laundry room.

My question is, should I drill through the joists to run the lines or should I run them around the perimeter because I am going to be building walls a few in ches from the foundation and there will be space there.

I will have a professional move the hot water pipe for the heat as I know there is a delicate balance there but I would like to tackle the moving of the pipes.

I also have 2 shut off valves...1 is for a toe kick heater in the kitchen and the other is a supply line for an ice maker. There are pretty low in the ceiling, should I move them or would it be better to box them in with a door to access after remodel.

If all of these questions can't be answered without seeing the area then I apologize and maybe I should attach some pics.

Thanks..JW

2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Hand copper part cleaned ready to go
    Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon b
    If you're using PEX then through the joists will work but there is a lot to consider when drilling joists and it would be wise to do thorough research before penetrating the joist membranes.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Service Plumber
    And then there is Gas which would be very wise if you had a pro do that as well.

5. Ladiesman271

Ladiesman271 Homeowner

Care and maintenance of transformers
    You just can not hack into floor joists any way that you want to. If you drill holes in a joist and use copper pipe, how do you get the pipe through the holes?

Why not just use a suspended ceiling in the basement?