Raised Toilet Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

badbeer

Reaction score
I'm in the process of remodelling a bathroom to make it handicapped accessible. The problem is extremely limited ability to get on/off the toilet because of its low position, even an ADA toilet. They make powered lifts that fit over most toilets but have several drawbacks such as not being able to use an aftermarket bidet seat. The solution would be to raise the entire comode up to the desired height such that the seat level is about 30" off the floor. A company makes a plastic item that fits between the floor and the toilet but only adds about 3" which isn't sufficient, not even close. I need to be able to raise an ADA toilet 12-13 inches.

Ideally, this would be semi-perminant such that in the future, one could remove the "platform" and lower the toilet and install as others.

I'm looking for issues or watch items to consider in doing such an install or if someone has done something like this, what did they do?

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
A toilet has a built-in trap and must be leveled and bolted to the flange in order to keep the wax ring seal between the flange and toilet base horn from leaking. The toilet should not be able to move or "rock" at all.
The flange must be bolted to the "floor" with only the thickness of the flange above the finished "floor" level.
The easiest way that I can think of:
If you construct a pressure-treated 2 X 12" (actually 1.5" X 11.5") lumber box slightly larger than the toilet base with a hole through the top and bottom large enough (3 or 4") for the closet bend pipe to extend up to the flange and bolt the box to the floor and the flange to it, that should work. You can adjust the height by the way you construct the box.
You can paint or stain p-t wood.
Good Luck!
Mike

badbeer

Reaction score
So, if I understand this right...

I'll need to set some mounts/bolts/whatever into the floor for the box to bolt to. Then after removing the existing flange, insert a length of pipe up to a point where the new flange on the boxtop would be fastened. Install the new flange and toilet as normal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You can make a piece of pipe the required length with a conventional flange on either end. Bolt one flange to the existing one using a silcone cauld to seal the two and then mount the toilet to the other one the conventional way. 30"? That is the height of a bathroom sink. Who needs one that high, and how is the peron going to get on to it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks