Rainbird sprinkler valve to be used for flush valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

statin

Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up a iron filter and watersoftener in a new home. I was considering using a rainbow automatic controller with two valves to open and close one valve for flushing a sand/particulate filter and the the second valve to flush the contact/settleing tank. Does anyone see any problem doing this? I have used these valves in several homes for several years with no problems and thought it may be a good idea for some automation. Thanks for any replies.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up a iron filter and watersoftener in a new home. I was considering using a rainbow automatic controller with two valves to open and close one valve for flushing a sand/particulate filter and the the second valve to flush the contact/settleing tank. Does anyone see any problem doing this? I have used these valves in several homes for several years with no problems and thought it may be a good idea for some automation. Thanks for any replies.

So if I'm reading you right you are planning to pipe into the rainbow and then use two "zones" one to control to the sand filter and the other to flush the contact tank and all done by setting the timer? Novel idea. I can see no reason why not.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That will work OK provided the downstream side is at low or zero pressure when the valve is "OFF". Backflow can occur if not. Sprinkler valves aren't really "valves" in the sense of controlling flow in both directions.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It should be able to work, for how long is another question.

That type of valve is not made to be on (Have power applied) all of the time with out water going thru it to cool the valve.

If I understand the setup, then a valve will have to be doing just that.

Have Fun.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
So if I'm reading you right you are planning to pipe into the rainbow and then use two "zones" one to control to the sand filter and the other to flush the contact tank and all done by setting the timer? Novel idea. I can see no reason why not.
If he's going to backwash a filter and drain another he may need more than 3 valves. IMO that depends on what type "contact" tank and sand filter he has.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If he's going to backwash a filter and drain another he may need more than 3 valves. IMO that depends on what type "contact" tank and sand filter he has.

There was no mention of "backwashing". A simple mesh filter can be flushed by opening a drain valve so long as the direction of flow goes the right way and doesn't crush the filter element. I assume the contact tank would just open the drain port.

There might be grit in there that could wear on the valve and shorten the life of it.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
There was no mention of "backwashing". A simple mesh filter can be flushed by opening a drain valve so long as the direction of flow goes the right way and doesn't crush the filter element. I assume the contact tank would just open the drain port.

There might be grit in there that could wear on the valve and shorten the life of it.
Yeah me either, I can't see what type of sand filter he has or what type of retentention (contact) tank he has. So unlike others that are assuming what the has, I asked for a more detailed description rather than to tell him no problem.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The word backwash wasn't used by anyone but Gary. I believe the op wants to flush the retention tank and the particulate filter which he may have confused to mean backwash so thought the exact details still need to be forthcoming, his question as to wether or not the rainbow controller could be used is still probably.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yeah me either, I can't see what type of sand filter he has or what type of retentention (contact) tank he has. So unlike others that are assuming what the has, I asked for a more detailed description rather than to tell him no problem.
Agreed.

I have a 100 mesh Banjo before the micronizer that if I open the draincock, can cause a reverse flow through the micronizer which is both bad for the micronizer and will collapse the SS mesh filter. I make sure the pump is running when I flush it to ensure a forward flow.

About once a quarter, I manually flush it and my contact tank. I observe what comes out which gives me a chance to analyze the state of the system so I would not want to automate it. Brain-dead simple solutions create brain-dead users.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
... his question as to wether or not the rainbow controller could be used is still probably.
I have no personal experience with that controller but would have reservations using it in such a hostile environment. Sprinkler systems need to have filtered water as they cannot tolerate sand so the controller may not tolerate it either.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Not sure why you say the controller will not tolerate it. Why is that ?

Sprinkler systems need to have filtered water for sure.

So do the valves.

Some people do not read installation instructions, to see that a screen should be used on the Valves.

Some people remove the screens because they get tired of cleaning them, Then wonder why the valve is leaking and the heads are plugged.

Have Fun.

statin

Reaction score
Sorry I have jumped onto another project and have not got back on here in a while. This is the device I am trying to emulate.

auto-flush.jpg

http://www.claritywaterproducts.com/product/auto-drain-valve-for-sand-traps/

I have not purchased the sand filter yet but this is kinda what I was thinking of installing:

product_PreFilterSystem_306x295.jpg

The contact tank that I have is similar to this but a 40 gallon:

ut-40-contact-tank.jpg

So the rainbow timer controlled valves would be used to flush a settling/contact tank for a iron filter and then to flush the sand trap filter. I have never seen sand or any debris in our water and don't feel i need the sand trap but since I am plumbing for all this new equipment I would include it now rather have to add it down the line. The down stream side will flow into a floor drain. My plans are to install the filtration equipment and then once I get an idea as to how often I need to flush this equipment I may install an automated system. But reading the post from LLigetfa:

Agreed.

I have a 100 mesh Banjo before the micronizer that if I open the draincock, can cause a reverse flow through the micronizer which is both bad for the micronizer and will collapse the SS mesh filter. I make sure the pump is running when I flush it to ensure a forward flow.

About once a quarter, I manually flush it and my contact tank. I observe what comes out which gives me a chance to analyze the state of the system so I would not want to automate it. Brain-dead simple solutions create brain-dead users.

It sounds like he has a similar set up with a prefilter and contact tank etc and doesn't have to flush them out often enough to worry about making it automated. The sand filter I believe I would not have to flush often but the contact tank I have not a clue about. I have 6ppm iron and do not know if this would settle out enough iron that would need flushing weekly or quarterly. I would like to know a little more about LLigetfa's set up. Are you filtering iron since you mentioned a contact tank and micronizer? If so what is you ppm iron and how often do you need to flush out all the settled iron? Thanks for all the discussion. I hope I have clarified my intentions.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most of the precipitated iron either sticks to the sides of the tank or stays in suspension and goes to the iron filter where the media removes it. Anytime I manually flush the contact tank, it runs clear within seconds.

My Banjo filter traps about a teaspoon of sand in a month so flushing it once a quarter works for me.

I have my iron filter programmed to backwash 3 times a week. Once a quarter, I also do a few back-to-back manual backwashes at higher pressure. I open up the micronizer bypass for more GPM and jack the pressure to 80 PSI.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Most of the precipitated iron either sticks to the sides of the tank or stays in suspension and goes to the iron filter where the media removes it. Anytime I manually flush the contact tank, it runs clear within seconds.

I've been wondering about this for years; this is the first definitive answer I've gotten. Good (I guess) to know that it's normal. I use a simple spun filter following the 120-gallon contact tank, and it has to be changed every 2 or 3 months. I wonder if the swirly contact tanks (http://www.apwinc.com/retention_tank.html) have the same problem? I may know in a few weeks.

statin

Reaction score
LLigetfa, what kind of filter are you using? Backwashing three times a week seems like a lot? I was hoping to only backwash twice weekly at most. What have you done to determine needing the three times weekly? Do you have anything after the iron filter? One more question what are you using for on oxidizer?

Mikey, what is the price of that contact tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks