Rain Soft softner problems

Users who are viewing this thread

wikid321

Reaction score
I currently have a rain soft water softer that was installed by previous owners. Model number is 30906. I dont have any manuals that came with it at all. All ive been doing for last 5 years is put salt in. Well what ive noticed is when it does its back flush (dont know if proper term) It goes on for hours. When it does stop it still has a trickling flow from that hose. Any ideas what could be issue. Like i said i dont even know how to use this thing.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be a lot of things. Is the timer properly set? What is the backwash time supposed to be? If you are not sure what the water conditions are then adjusting the settings is hit or miss. Besides that there may be mechanical problems with the timer or the valve. In short, we need more information. Get a water test done, take a picture of the valve with the cover off and we can go from there.

wikid321

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I have no idea how to work this thing. Ive tried numerous time online to look for some sort of manual. I've also contacted manufacturer and nothing. Here is apicture of it and i just took all salt out and cleaned that tank. Its doing a forced purge now see if that helps. watersoftner.jpg

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
For starts it is the Rainsoft twist on the Fleck 5000 proflo valve.
The water to the drain is because your system is going to need a rebuild of the main piston and seal pack. By looking up the fleck proflo or fleck 5000 you will be able to find the parts needed.
http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com/en-us/Products/ResidentialControlValves/Fleck+ProFloSXT.htm
The way to control the valve is different but the working of the main part is the same.
And here is the manual for your valve and timer
http://www.rainsoftofthesouthland.com/manuals/AMC75T.pdf
Between the two manuals you should be good to go in setting it up and finding the parts needed for getting challenges corrected.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Could be a lot of things. Is the timer properly set? What is the backwash time supposed to be? If you are not sure what the water conditions are then adjusting the settings is hit or miss. Besides that there may be mechanical problems with the timer or the valve. In short, we need more information. Get a water test done, take a picture of the valve with the cover off and we can go from there.

LOL YOU need more info and should have stopped with asking for a picture. He has water going to drain after a regeneration. The time of day has nothing to do with his problem. He doesn't need to test his water yet. Take note of AKpsdvan's post, that's how you troubleshoot and help DIYers.

As to the valve, over the last 15-20+/- years they have used a proprietary type Fleck 5000/Proflo or 5600.

wikid321

Reaction score
Thanks Akpsdvan. I have cleaned valves and only noticed lil white gunk of sorts on them. Cleaned everything up and it started with a bit of trickling water. I'm gonna let it sit overnight and get back tomorrow with any results or non.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well excuse me but I don't servic rain soft, nobody carries rain soft in this area. With the picture I'd have had an answer for him.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Akpsdvan. I have cleaned valves and only noticed lil white gunk of sorts on them. Cleaned everything up and it started with a bit of trickling water. I'm gonna let it sit overnight and get back tomorrow with any results or non.

If you changed the location of the seals while you had it apart and are still getting water to the drain then a new seal and spacer kit is going to be needed along with a new piston for the Fleck 5000/ProFlo.......
Waiting over night for it to change is not going to happen.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't feed the troll occasionally it gets all bitter and dried up. LOL

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Tom, I concur,your answer was correct. It was the same answer I would have given. I used to think trolls could change over time, I guess that is just a myth.

Since I am not overly familiar with this variant on the 5000, but I am extremely knowledgable of the proflo, does this variant retain the one way bearing that was such a problem on the 5000. The 5000 electrmechanical was finally pulled from the market after repeated attempts to correct the problem clutch issue with the one way bearing and was replaced with the SE version. Different lubricants etc were attempted, but the longevity of the motor continued to be a problem. This was almost 15 years ago, but I do know of a few electromechanical 5000's still working.

http://www.pentairwatertreatment.co...tment/Bulletins/338-5000 Clutch Lubricant.pdf

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I used to think trolls could change over time, I guess that is just a myth.

You know, for a short while I noticed a change for the better. Thought maybe he was back on his meds before realizing that Terry stripped him of mod powers. I guess the old dog is back to his old tricks.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Trolls do keep you on your toes, knowing that they are looking for any mis-step, any typo, or any opportunity to threaten you. LOL, I hope he stays off the meds, I think it is the 3-4 packs of nicotine a day that keep him so riled up.

wikid321

Reaction score
Well heres my update. Last night it went on doing its regeneration thing for over like two hours if not more. Once i woke up this morning not one leak. Its now 10 hours later and still looking good. Thanks for advice Akpsdvan. Never would of imagined just cleaning up these piece would cause such a big thing.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you are good to go.
Not sure about the 2 hour deal if that is correct, but if the water is good and there is no water to the drain and no salty taste in the water and salt usage in the future is good, then let it be.
The two books should help in future trouble shooting of your system and if there are any other questions check in and ask, might have to start a new thread but ask your questions.

ditttohead

Reaction score
2-3 hours is normal for electromechanical systems. Modern ultra efficient systems based on traditional designs are also now hitting the 2 hours mark (due primarily to the slower brining needed to meet many states efficiency requirements). The 5600 has a 3 hour cycle time from start to finish, but a lot of that time the system is not running water to the drain, it is transistioning between cycles.

Congrats on the system working again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks