Rain in boiler vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have a NG boiler in my below grade basement. Live in NY area. Have had 2 major rain storms this past month. Both caused some water entry near my boiler. I seen water dripping from a horizontal section of my vent. I am not sure if it was rain entering from the chimney opening or groundwater accessing the bottom of the system. There is a vent cover on top of chimney but the rain was sideways for days. Is this a common issue? What is the usual cause. I am leaning toward ground water against the house.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If it's a masonry lined exposed brick chimney, masonry is porous, and some seepage into the flue and runng down the vent piping during saturating rains events is common enough. If you have a steel chimney liner this shouldn't be an issue if you have a decent venturi-type chimney cap as opposed to an umbrella-top & screen type. If there's no overhanging eaves or the surface grade isn't sloped away from the house, ground moisture could conceivably be the culprit, but it's a matter of how much area of the masonry is exposed to the moisture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks