Rain Barrel Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Themp

Reaction score
I am going cheap here, trying to keep the cost as low as possible. I live in an extreme drought area in the Southeast and basically no watering, car washing, etc. is in place. I have installed a 400 gallon tank to collect rainwater from my gutters for my wife's garden. I want to hook up a pump to the tank now and use this to wash my car. 400 gallons was over kill for gardening.

I went to my local Agri-Supply(farm supply place) and they special ordered me this pump: http://www.chinapumps.com/english/p...ame=Domestic Pump&smallname=Micro Vortex Pump
It is only 35 dollars, so is cheap. 1/2 Horsepower Deep Well is the label on the box. Arrive by UPS tonight.

My question is this going to work as the instruction manual is terrible. I actually cannot tell if the pump will cycle off at a certain pressure or just runs continuous. I want the hose to work as it would from the house supply, meaning that when I stop using the hose, the pump does not burn up or the pump stops due to a pressure switch in the pump. The guy at Agri-Supply said it did, but not sure at this point based on the weak manual.

The wiring instructions are terrible also, it has a blue, brown, and green/yellow set of wires. I assume the green/yellow is ground and the other two I test out and make sure the motor rotates as the manual states it should.

Thanks for your help and any other advice in terms of you should have bought this pump, Tom

Raucina

Reaction score
You will have to add a seperate pressure switch and possibly a pressure tank if you want this to operate automatically, say with a garden hose that is being throttled on and off. Use the ground as green and if its 240v the two hots to the brown and blue. Don't expect much from this rig.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assume that what they have at the link is correct, and that the links found at those links are correct.

http://www.chinapumps.com/images/pdf/domestic pump.pdf

The manual says it is a 2-pole pump that runs at 2900 RPM.

Now 2900 RPM is the speed for a 50 Hz power connection. It will run closer to 3450 RPM on 60 Hz.

The other thing that is not mentioned is:What kind of pump is it? It looks like a centrifugal pump but the impeller is very small for a pump that is supposed to make 38 meters (about 120 ft; 50 psi) of head at 1 GPM per the chart.

It could also be a regenerative turbine pump which has more like a positive displacement characteristic.

Some of the text suggests that it is intended as a booster pump. It may not develop any lift so you would need to put it at or below the level of the water in the tank.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The pressure switch may be in that plastic cover on top. I'm not sure why anyone would put a pressure switch on their pump when it won't make much more than 20 psi. That's how I read the look of the housing the impeller is in.

Like Raucina said, don't expect much from this rig.

I hope you didn't spend more than $30.00 for it.

bob...

R

Rancher

20051025153023335.jpg

This is what you should have ordered. XKJ-600PA

Of course it is a pump made in China, so order a spare, or live with a dirty car.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks