rain and sewer smell

Users who are viewing this thread

AmofOhio

Reaction score
Whenever we get alot of rain, our home smells like sewer gas.
Its rained here for a couple days, and today our home smells terrible and our toilet gurgles. Not sure how else to explain the gurgling sound of the toilet.
But it sounds like air bubbles or something in our toilet.

We had our septic cleaned in the spring.I Believe around April.

Today we walked outside and you could smell it bad over by a drain pipe that runs from our crawl space to the outside. The water that was coming out of the pipe smelled just like inside our home.

Why do we keep going through this when it rains?
The smell is terrible!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
smell

You'r field bed is saturated and needs attention.

My best guess is you need to redo the drain field..........

M Q

Reaction score
Vent?

While I can't vouch for your leach field, if the toilet is gurgling, you have a vent problem. Might there be a dip in the vent plumbing (maybe in the attic?) that could accumulate enough rainwater to block the vent?

Of course, if bad water is coming out of your crawl space you have another problem, too. Have you looked around in the crawl space?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
smell

From what you say, never mind the vent or crawl space or a dip in the vent.

Rain, smells and gurgles all point to the field bed...............

AmofOhio

Reaction score
My husband crawled under our home in the crawlspace. All pipes look good. No leaks, breaks etc...
We haven't checked the roof vent. But i will make sure i tell him today to check that.

If it is the field bed. What actions need to be taken to help fix the problem, or do we just need to call a plumber or septic guy to fix the problem?

Its ok until it rains then the smell is terrible. I sure hope it quits raining soon. :(

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
septic

You said it..............

The rain saturates your septic field bed!!

Thats where you look.

You need an excavator that does field beds.......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks