Radiator with all pipe work from boiler.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Walter Schwartz, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Walter Schwartz

Walter Schwartz New Member

I need to know how a radiator system is installed. Radiator and all pipe work needed from boiler on up and back to boiler. This is for a two story building with two apartments . This is to be installed with one boiler and one thermostat controlling both units. A drawing of this would be great.

Walter Schwartz
    wsks@juno.com
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heating

You are kidding, right? Designing a heating system is specific to that building and you have to know a whole lot about the building, before you can even consider putting two pieces of pipe together, mush less the size of the boiler.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Well, without further info....you could have one pipe steam, 2 pipe steam, zoned hot water circulation, and probably others I don't even know about.
  4. CHH

CHH New Member

Well you could regress about 50 years and just say something along the lines of:

Start with a 160,000 BTU cast iron boiler and put at least 6 feet of baseboard in every room. Use 12 if it's a big room. You'll need an expansion tank and a check valve and pressure regulator on the fill line. Put the circulator on the return. That outta do it. Oh yeah, 'bout fergot: be sure and have a relief valve and a drain. Might need some sorta controls too.

That'll be $1,500 for the design work. You'll get yer prints when I get paid. Youse gotta problem wid dat?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  5. Walter Schwartz

Walter Schwartz New Member

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There is no one-size fits all. If you first figure out the size of the heating plant needed, then choose the brand and model, the installation manual will show typical installation layouts.

Pick a brand, and download the installation manual, study it to get some ideas of what you need/want. Trying to get two apartments comfortable would really require at least two zones and two thermostats. Trying to do it with one would risk a huge energy waste as one would likely be warm, and if they can't control it, they'd open the windows.

I do not know if something like this is available here, but when I lived in Germany, the landlord had a gadget on each radiator that essentially measured the amount of heat produced. The bill was based on that.

An alternative to two zones might be thermostatic valves on each radiator. The system needs to be built with by-passes to allow for the radically varying flow rates. It can get quite complicated, and taking shortcuts can compromise equipment reliability and performance.
  7. CHH

CHH New Member

Your keyboard appears to be broken. Either that or you're mumbling...