Radiator plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Eagle71, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Eagle71

Eagle71 New Member

Hello all. This weekend I'm installing a wall mounted runtal radiator with the supply/return lines coming through the wall. The current configuration has the pipes through the floor. Everything is copper so repiping this isn't a problem. The pipes will run up inside the wall to drop ear elbows (copper x fip). My question is, since the drop ears will be screwed tight to framing, will this be too rigid for a radiator installation? Should radiator pipes have some play for movement? Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Not if they are at the proper location when you fasten them to the framing.
  3. Eagle71

Eagle71 New Member

Hello all. I had to put off install till Friday. Gave me time to think about thread sealant. I was going to use pink Teflon tape like I have in the past (never a leak) but was going to maybe use rectorseal 5. I've heard really good things about it. Since the joint will be inside the wall I want to have the best seal possible. Like I said, I never had any issue with pink Teflon but if rectorseal is more dependable I'll use that. Thanks
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it helps with your decision, I have NEVER used TPFE, (not "Teflon"), white, yellow, or pink tape on metal to metal connections.
  5. Bill Shack

Bill Shack 30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector

Teflon White is for normal use
    Yellow is for gas piping
    Red is for oil bases piping.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I'll go one better. I have never used Teflon tape on anything.
  7. jim mills

jim mills New Member

How about a shower head, Tom?