Radiator Piping Alteration

Users who are viewing this thread

JXD355

Reaction score
I removed my radiator to retile my floor, but the new floor is a bit higher than the previous floor (within an inch). There radiator is an old cast iron radiator.

There is a little bit of give in the piping, but not enough to connect the new radiator. Any thoughts on a way to extend the piping under an inch so the radiator can attach? Would a coupling and street elbow work?

Thanks

JXD355

Reaction score
Thanks a lot John. I noticed that site has a minimum order quantity of 20....do you think this is something that can be found at a local hardware store or just specialty shops. I would think this has to be somewhat common in my area since all of the houses in my location have this type of heat.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I would try a plumbing supply. They may have them. If not I'm sure they could order them for you. Even when most heating systems were done in iron pipe they were hard to find.

John

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You can always saw some off the legs :)

As long as the legs are solid. Some of the newer ones were not. The only sure way to tell is to remove the fitting or plug on the bottom taping and have a look inside there.
John

JXD355

Reaction score
Thanks John.

As for sawing off the legs, I wasn't going to go down that road. So no worries there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks