Radiant Heating Loop Tweaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob716

Reaction score
I have a weil mclain ultra boiler that has supplied a HWH and domestic baseboard heating loop for a couple years. I just recently expanded to include a radiant heating loop which is controlled by a taco relay station. I had it up and running successfully for a few hours yesterday. When the boiler is running at 180 degrees the radiant loop is pumping and running at 130-140 degrees and heating well.

Here is the issue: when the primary heating loop thermostat is satisfied,, the boiler modulates and the boiler water temperature drops to as low as 130 degrees. This is causing the temperature in the radiant loop to drop to below 100, which isn't really heating well. The radiant loop wont satisfy the temperature for it's own thermostat and it just keeps pumping luke warm water through the loop until the primary loop calls for the boiler to fire again.

When the primary loop is not telling the boiler to heat and the radiant loop isn't satisfied, should the radiant loop be telling the boiler to continue heating at a normal range? Is it possible the wire between the taco relay station and the boiler motherboard isn't working correctly? For anyone that knows Weil Mclain I used P-11 (1 and 2). These are the only things I can think of getting in the way, since it's otherwise working well.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
This sounds like a control setup issue. It sounds like you running the boiler under outdoor reset control?

What model Taco zone controller?

Is the mixture to the radiant loop controlled by a ball valve, or is it a thermostatic mixing valve? (The latter should be able to deliver 130F water to the radiant whether the boiler output is 130F or 180F, or anywhere in-between, if it's plumbed correctly.)

"Primary loop" means something different in the hydronic heating biz than I think you are intending here. I suspect you mean the bigger zone, the one with the fin-tube baseboard, and not the actual "primary loop" in the primary/secondary hydraulic separation sense.

A schematic of your system plumbing (including pumps & zone valves, if any) would be useful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks