Radiant Heat Leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fraser Jim

Reaction score
Have a 9-year old radiant heat system in Colorado Mtns. Weekend cabin.

5-zones of RH in Slab, 2-zones of baseboard, domestic hot water tank.

Noticed for the last two weeks that the maximum and minimum pressure is down by about a pound per week.

Have had same symptoms in the past. One was a valve packing slowly leaking, the second was a clogged air valve dripping. This time I can see no visible leaks.

Looks like I need to get a pro in, but would like to start troubleshooting.

I can pressurize with auto fill, which is usually off.

Any suggestions on best way to Isolate which zone(s) might have a leak?

I was thinking of leaving autofill on when we leave for the week. Would hate to flood the cabin if leak opens, but also burn up boiler if pressure drops to zero.

Would welcome recommendations.

Fraser Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most boilers have a low-pressure cutout, which would shut the boiler down if it got too low, but that would also mean no heat, and that could be a big problem if things freeze up. It depends on how things are plumbed and where you have shutoff valves how easy it would be to isolate a leak...hard to tell without being there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks