radiant heat in the walls?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by rrekih, Nov 28, 2009.

1. rrekih

rrekih New Member

I have a low ceiling in the basement.
    I was planing on using hydronic radiant heat panels for the basement.
    The main floor is radiant underfloor heat.
    Instead of using heat panels can I run the pipe up and down the walls and have the whole wall as the heat source?
  2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Radiant walls work, and work well, using the same techniques & materials used for radiant ceilings. Be sure to insulate between the radiant tubing/plates and the foundation/exterior wall. Put the (Canadian code-required) vapor retarder on the warm (interior) side of the insulation.
  3. rrekih

rrekih New Member

I have been thinking of using inside walls????

Or I have an unique situation, I have built a wall in front of the existing foundation and stud wall.
  4. patsfan78

patsfan78 Web Development | HVAC

Radiant can be done in the walls. It works. But remember people hang pictures, put holes in, run wiring, and abuse walls a lot more than a floor. So the radiant tubing in a wall has more opportunities for damage than it would in a floor. A future potential buyer of the home may not care for it. (A radiator is, obviously, a much more visible object.) Not saying and can't or shouldn't be done, just food for thought.