Radiant floor heat zones very puzzling...any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

speeder

Reaction score
A friend of mine just purchased a new house in Vancouver. Heating is typical boiler fed radiant floor heat with multiple zones.

There are 5 heat zones, and one that feeds an indirect hot water tank.

Here is the puzzling thing. The thermostats seems to be activating the zone valves properly, however two of zone valves are heating the same two areas which are a mix of the two zones that the two valves are supposed to supply. i.e. L.R. thermostat activates L.R. valve, but heats one upstairs bedroom and the front half of the L.R. the upstairs thermostat operates the upstairs valve, but heats the same upstairs bedroom as the L.R. valve and the same front half of the L.R. so these two thermostats operate separate valves, but heat the same area.

I am a home builder, but I can't wrap my head around how it is possible to mess up the piping so that two valves heat the same incorrect areas.

Heads are going to roll over this, but I'm curious if there are any thoughts on how this got screwed up?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure I followed your description, but there is a limit on the length of any one zone, and it might require two loops and possible zone valves to service one area. Assuming you're using 1/2" pex loops, about the maximum length generally recommended is 200', and if the area requires more than that to heat it, it would require two loops, and maybe two zone controllers. It also might be that they were trying to minimize short-cycling the boiler by ensuring there was some minimum load, and therefore activated multiple zones, regardless. Course, it could be really messed up...

speeder

Reaction score
no, it's in floor heat...i may have jumped the gun...going to have to play around with the system for a few more days as it take a lot longer for the floors to cool than I had thought.

thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks