r22 for central air need help

Users who are viewing this thread

tomtran

Reaction score
would you tell me any Freon can be replace r22 for my central air, during my unit is broken out door cooper hose thanks

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would use r22 or get a newer unit.

Other types of gas are likely to kill it. But it may work for a very little while.

Good Luck.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Moot point. How do you expect to get the new refrigerant into the unit? After the repair is done the system needs to be flushed with nitrogen and then vacuumed down to -500 microns. Also, the filter dryer needs to be replaced. IOW, not s job for a homeowner. BTW, your local hvac company can do the repair and they can recharge the system with R22 as well. We can still use R22 for repaired systems.

tomtran

Reaction score
my unit it kind old it label HEIL brand made 1992.if I call local hvac come fix I think it will cost a lot. I thinking replace unit but don't know what brand is last longer.could your guys tell me what brand is the best and made in usa

DonL

Reaction score
my unit it kind old it label HEIL brand made 1992.if I call local hvac come fix I think it will cost a lot. I thinking replace unit but don't know what brand is last longer.could your guys tell me what brand is the best and made in usa

I think Goodman is good. But who knows ? Going by warranty length is best guess.

I agree with Tom, Adding coolant to a open system is not a DIY project, unless you have a license. Then you would not be asking.

R22 is available if you cash in your 401k. :eek:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ya can't work on or buy refrigerant without an EPA certificate. Besides that you need an evacuation pump, gauge set, micron gauge, digital scale, thermometers and a couple hundred dollars worth of hand tools.

Most of the big manufacturers like Trane, American Stsndsrd, Rheem, Carrier, Goodman etc are fine.

DonL

Reaction score
Ya can't work on or buy refrigerant without an EPA certificate. Besides that you need an evacuation pump, gauge set, micron gauge, digital scale, thermometers and a couple hundred dollars worth of hand tools.

Most of the big manufacturers like Trane, American Stsndsrd, Rheem, Carrier, Goodman etc are fine.

Normally. You buy it like drugs from Mexico now. That is a shame really.

Just order a watermelon code green for R22. (I made that up just for grins :D)

The recovery systems are what make it hard to do the job right to EPA standards.

For a new Gas that they say is safe in the first place, why does it need to be recovered ?

Just another way to screw a small HVAC company, and in the end a home owner.

I just bought a new set of gauges for the new gases, and they were not cheap. I like nice Toys.

Thank goodness I do not do that work for a living no more. It is no Fun when the AC is broke, And the customer is Hot.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tomtran,
You need a new unit, and has to be installed by a lic a/c man.
We all have to buy R410 units now...whether we like it or not.

crabjoe

Reaction score
mo99.. Also known as R-438a. After you fix the leak, you still have to remove all the R22 from your system, before you can convert to mo99.

You can still get R-22, but it ain't cheap... And remember, as other have pointed out, unless you hold a EPA 608 cert, you can't legally handle R-22.

BTW, my buddy just paid a HVAC company to top off his AC with R-22.. The 1st quote he got was $140/lb.. The best quote he got was $80/lb...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks