Quote - renovating shower-stall

Users who are viewing this thread

CastingC

Reaction score
Hello,

We’re planning on renovating our 'leaking' shower-stall (tile/base).
1. Tiles: I was quoted ~ $4,900 for a new shower stall: 32x32 new base fiberglass ($150 more for acrylic), hardware, door, large tiles with concrete board backing, complete tear-down labor/installation).
2. Corian: I was quoted ~ $6,500.
I was told it will take 4 days for installation :rolleyes:

I was wondering if this seems reasonable for a price or is it way over-the-top? :)

Also, they say that the tiles go over a concrete board, no waterproofing membrane is needed as it may cause molding? That this sounds right, as I am worried about leaks?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
God bless!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
We do not comment on prices on this forum. Rates vary so widely from place to place that what might seem cheap in one area would be excessively high in another. In addition, estimates to be worth anything have to be done on site after visual inspection. The best thing to do is to get at least 3 estimates from different companies, making sure the same requirements are given to all of them. You best insurance that the job will be done right with no leaks is to verify the company is licensed and bonded, and check their references.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, that's a pretty small shower. Second, my presonal preference is I don't like either a fiberglass or other solid surface pan. Industry standards usually call for a vapor barrier behind the cement board (cbu).

My presonal preference is a different construction technique using a waterproof membrane - Kerdi from www.schluter.com. You can read about it on their website.

A major portion of the cost is labor, so it's hard to say whether that is a good price or not.

If you are handy at all, you can build a shower yourself that would put some so-called pros to shame, and for a lot less than that price, but it will take you a lot longer. If nothing else, check out www.johnbridge.com to check out how a shower is supposed to be built - then you can evaluate what the contractor's are saying based on industry standards. There are numerous ways to build a shower that will last, and many more that can compromise its performance...it's all in the details. Skip one important step, and it may not last.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks