Quietest toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

garrry

Reaction score
Because the one bathroom in my house is right next to the living room, I wanted the quietest flush possible. I installed a Kohler Rialto, which is very quiet; it barely murmurs when you flush it.

Unfortunately, that's its only good quality. Double flush is almost always necessary, bowl wash is terrible, etc.

So I want to replace it. I'm not too worried about clogs, but I want a toilet that will get it all the first time and clean the bowl decently. But I want one with a quiet flush -- I'm not so much concerned with the tank fill noise as with the flush itself. Any opinions on what toilet has the absolutely quietest flush?

Thanks! And thanks Terry, this is an incredible resource.

Prashster

Reaction score
Why are you not concerned with the tank fill as much as the flush? The flush takes 2 seconds. The refill is an order of magnitude longer.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the noise so much. A clean, quick flush is better than a slow, sloppy one.

If you really want quiet, you could always cut out the floor and install a composting toilet. Those flies can tickle, though ;)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One piece toilets are usually qiieter, especially models like the Rialto which use a "swirl" type flushing action.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
The Toto Drake with CEFIONTECT.
The noise from a flush is not always from the toilet. There's the issue of the drain/soil pipes...cast iron is nearly silent but ABS is noisy and you can hear every drop trickle through.
There's the water supply...pipes that touch or are tight up against the structure will make noise in the walls.
Go with a quick flush and a quick fill which is the Drake, with CEFIONTECT keeps the bowl clean.
I agree with Garry, if you want silence and no bowl streaks go with a port-a-potty. But then you have to have those guys come once a weak to suction it clean, that can be annoying ;)

garrry

Reaction score
I'm more concerned with the flush than the fill because the sound of running water if I'm serving dinner is not as disconcerting as the archie bunker sound of flushing.

Plumbing is cast iron.

I agree that i don't want a sloppy flush. I was hoping to get both quiet and neat. Is that not a possibility?

As to the one piece-two piece idea -- would an ultramax be quieter than a drake, for example? Are there any swirl-flush toilets that actually work?

Last edited:

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I've installed two toilets about 3 months ago. A Toto Ultramax and a Kohler San Raphael. I prefer the Toto Ultramax in terms of performance but the Kohler is quieter. Neither toilet has given us any problems - no double flushes and the bowl stays clean. Given the choice I would go with the Toto Ultramax but if sound is the main criteria, Kohler San Raphael would be an acceptable choice for me. It has an ingenium flushing system which may be different then the one in your Rialto toilet.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
garrry said:
I'm more concerned with the flush than the fill because the sound of running water if I'm serving dinner is not as disconcerting as the archie bunker sound of flushing.

That's an interesting metaphor.
But flushing is one of those great socio-economic equalizers. Can't get around it.
reminds me of a quote:

"You aren't any safer in first class"

Maybe Maxwell Smart's Cone of silence is the only solution... :D

garrry

Reaction score
OK. I couldn't deal with both the social commentary and the wisecracks, so I bought a Drake this afternooon. (appreciate the San Raphael recommendation, JK60, but other people's experience with the Ingenium have been uneven, and I didn't want to risk it.) i supose I prefer loud rude noises to little surprises floating in the bowl...

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Garrry - I agree, loud rude noises are definitely better then little surprises floating in the bowl. Luckily I haven't seen that as yet. No experience with the Drake, but if it's anything like the Ultramax you'll be happy.

bigfoot

Reaction score
noisy system

I do not know why more people do not put in a wall thick enough for 5.5 inches of insulation. There is the other important aspect as to where a toilet is placed in the design of the house. Try some insulation around the toilet if this works, pull the toilet cut out the sheet rock and fill the void. Or if you now the void is open, cut a hole in the top of the wall and blow in insullaiton.
Good luck. :D

garrry

Reaction score
That's a good suggestion. But blowing insulation into the spaces behind sheetrock with fireblocks between the studs is a major pain, and besides there is the matter of the door. Maybe some kind of bank vault thing...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks