Quieter shower valve & head?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by pagebri, Nov 5, 2005.

1. pagebri

pagebri New Member

Can anyone recommend a shower valve and/or valve & head combination which is much quieter than most? I have a Moen pressure balancing valve, and a off-brand "motion massage" head. This combination is too loud - it results in unbearable levels of high-frequency noise when the valve is anywhere in it's range but full cold or full hot. I'm guessing that the mixing valve introduces too much turbulence and/or cavitation. I'm hoping to find a better designed valve and install it without the need to re-tile.
  2. jeffreyhel

jeffreyhel New Member

without retiling I would suggest Delta Monitor and check the water restrictor and screen of the shower head for debris and or restriction.

If you want to retile I like Grohe valves.
  3. pagebri

pagebri New Member

Problem fixed

Removing the flow restrictor eliminated 80% of the noise. The designers could have done a lot better than a washer with a square-shouldered hole which seems to act like a whistle.