Quick question with DWV pipe size

Users who are viewing this thread

jwater7

Reaction score
I have a (hopefully) quick question that I haven't been able to find a straight answer on..

When I put drain pipe in for a lav, code (UPC 2009) requires 1 1/4 in. I've heard you can go up one "nominal" size (so I think that would imply going to 1 1/2 in.). What if you want to grow to 2" or even 3", is there code preventing this? Without getting into if it's really a good idea or not, I'm just wondering if it would pass inspection.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd be hard pressed to find really big, pretty lav fittings, but, once it's in the wall, it can become any size larger.

jwater7

Reaction score
So to clarify, I could have a 1.5" trap/arm going into wall with a 3x3x1.5 santee, even if the lav is the only thing on the branch?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time in Washington, we're using a 1.5" trap arm and p-trap.
1-1/4" is the smallest, but you can't find that in ABS.
The 1.5" trap arm can tie into any size that is the same or larger.

I often run 2" over to a lav. That gives me options later on.
The only reason I would run 3" below a lav is if it were used as a cleanout for the nearby toilet.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Much of the reason behind the pipe sizing is with regard to the flow of material through the pipe. If you use a 3 inch pipe for a lavatory, the flow would not scour the pipe which would allow excessive buildup of solids.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I seldom, if ever, use anything smaller than 2" for any drain lines. You COULD use 3", but would have to install a 3" cleanout opening for use if it ever plugged up. There is a "fine line" between being "large enough" and being "oversized" to the point that flow velocity slowed down which can cause stoppages.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks