Quick question about shower drain...

Users who are viewing this thread

BRADO

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in Ontario Can. not sure what code calls for (think 2") but have found my basement shower drain is plumbed with 1-1/2" ABS for the drain...I'm starting to finish the bathroom now and am at the shower install. OK if I use a 2.5 GPM showerhead?? I know it will drain slower but hope not to stand in water while showering.

Thanks,
Brad

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From comments here, I think 1.5" on a shower is still code in Canada. With one showerhead and proper slope, it should be okay.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
2.5 GPM is nothing. Do you know the water level drop from the top of the basement floor to the level of water in the P-Trap? If you have 5"-8" you could easily run 12-14 GPM down that line. I would not be worried about having a couple fixtures on your 1.5" line at all. JW

BRADO

Reaction score
Hey John, the difference is about 4", tricky to be exact as to see where the level is in the riser but no more than 4" up to the floor, with the 2 layers of motar, membrane and tile prob. be 6" to top of drain (shluter).
Thanks,
Brad

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The Schluter drain has a nice angled sides (inside) and has a high flow rate for standard drains. 4"-6" is average and all good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks