Quick Question about No-Hub

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by glnow, Mar 8, 2011.

1. glnow

glnow New Member

Is it legal to no have no-hub connection on a vertical vent line that is behind a wall?

I have a metal vent pipe with a hairline crack that needs to be addressed.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Is it legal to no have no-hub connection on a vertical vent

The word "no" in the question does not make sense. Of course it is legal to have them in walls, otherwise we could NEVER install a No-Hub waste and vent system. If "no" meant "not" then the question is illogical, if not ridiculous.
  3. glnow

glnow New Member

Whoops, many apologies for the confusion caused by the typo in my original post.

Yes, I was checking to see if it was OK to have the no-hub union behind the finished wall and it sounds like that is allowed.

Do I need to add some additional bracing to support the vent pipe when I cut into it, so that the pipe above my cut doesn't come tumbling down? If yes, what do I use?
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The obvious answer to that is YES. I am assuming the vent is cast iron, and you do have to clamp it very, very well. Cast iron is very heavy and a flimsy half-a**ed attempt won't cut it. The vent is likely only supported by itself, so when you cut it, it loses that support and will come down fast and hard.
  5. glnow

glnow New Member

Understood. What type of clamping/strapping system should be used here?

Sorry, I should say that I'm not going to do myself, it's beyond me and I'll be going with a pro.
    But this info will help me be sure it's being done correctly.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

The best thing would be a riser clamp but I don't think the big box stores carry them.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

How the vent pipe is installed ABOVE the cut determines whether it is already supported or not. Only someone on site can make that determination, but I have cut very few cast iron lines which were NOT already supported by the piping configuration above the cut.