Quick easy subfloor question

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I have some 3/4 T&G Subflooring that I will be putting down soon. Is there a preferred direction to face it in relation to the joists? Across the joists or with them?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Absolutely...if you want the stated strength, the grain of the top layer of the ply MUST cross the joists at 90-degrees. It also helps if you use construction adhesive on the joists.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Also the lay-up of the layers, in the plywood, provides more fibers going the long way, than the short way. If you laid it with the long side parallell to the joists, each sheet would be weaker / less stiff than running it across.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
OSB is stronger in the long dimension and should be installed like plywood is installed. Plywod and OSB are about 1/3 as strong in bending in the transverse direction as in the longitudinal direction.

OSB flooring (5/8"; 15.5 mm) is about 40% as strong as Douglas Fir Plywood and about 60% as strong as Canadian Softwood Plywood in the strong directions. See link below.
http://www.canply.org/english/products/comparison/comparison155.htm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks