Quick disconnects on Fixtures and PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have an plan to more easily winterize my vacation home. It is in the NorthEast and it gets cold there. I use the home about once a month and I drain everything after using it, and turn off the heat. I do this by blowing all the water lines out of the fixtures and out the hose bib, and put auto washer fluid in the toilets. I am very successful at this. Never a frozen pipe. I do sometimes have some residual water in a flex line under a sink that freezes. Takes a few min to clear.

I would like to convert some 1/2 copper to Pex. It is more durable to this cold. And easy repairs can be made.

-I would like to have some quick connects on the main PEX to hook up my compressor to. I can make my own connect with some bushings but I need a quick connect from the main (well in this case) to the house line so I can tap in easily and drain.
-I would also like 3/8 quick connects under the sink. So I can easily just disconnect and drain the flex lines.

Do they make such disconnects? I mean disconnects like the ones used on hoses and air compressors. For potable/clean water.

And Simply reconnect when I arrive.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would take an old 5/8 ID garden hose with a good connector, and cut the hose. I would then insert a common air quick-connect with a 3/8 NPT thread on it into it, and clamp that with a worm clamp. I would screw the garden hose to a garden hose threaded faucet. If I did not have such a faucet already, I would install a "boiler drain".

I am not a pro.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
any air hose quick connect. Pull the collar back, insert the air hose, then blow the water out.
I already do that today. That is how I drain the house. I have a boiler valve with a compressor connection on the valves. Compressor hooks right up.
My question is how can I make pex a quick disconnect in places? With no tools. I have reasons to make some disconnects during draining. I can not find any type of fittings. I did find ones for pressure washers but not sure they are potable quality?

And how can I make quick disconnects for under the sink.

I know these are out of the box questions. Figured someone here would know.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Between the air hose quick connect and the tee to the fixture I would install a ball valve. With a lot of air hose quick connects installed it also introduces another component that can fail. Keeping the valve closed while using water may prevent a possible flood. Quick connect air hose will work but they're designed for air not water. Over the years it might corrode or get mineral deposits that may prevent a good tight seal.

My brother, a vacation home in VT, uses air to flush out the lines in the garage that sits under the house. You may already do this but open the bath/shower faucets open in the middle position to be sure that it drains. My brother had a bath/shower valve body cracked after a one time instant hot furnace program crashed, the heat turned off and the house froze.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Make sure you have a good oil separator on the air compressor and use clean air hoses that have not been exposed to oil...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks