Questions re: whirlpool deck mounted faucet/handshower installation

Users who are viewing this thread

flighttnc

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question regarding the installation of a whirlpool deck mount tub faucet, along with a separate deck mounted handshower.

I have already purchased the following faucet: Kohler Finial Traditional Deck Mount High Flow Whirlpool Faucet (K-T314-4M).

My plumber has informed me that the above faucet can not be used in conjunction with a deck mounted handshower and that I would need to purchase a completely different faucet with the handshower attached.

I called the answer center at Kohler and was told that a two-way diverter valve and handshower hose guide (K-8549) could be used along with a Persona deck-mount handshower (K-9677). I told my plumber this and he stated he would look into this, but it still probably could not be done.

He also expressed some concerns about water back flowing out of the handshower into the potable water supply. It was my understanding that a back flow preventer would take care of this problem. When I mentioned this to my plumber, he said he wasn't sure there was a back flow preventer on my handshower. Isn't this required for handshowers? If not, how can you tell which handshowers have these installed?

Any experience or tips with installing a deck mounted faucet and handshower would be appreciated. Also, are there any other products than the Kohler diverter valve/handshower that would work with my already purchased Kohler faucet or am I restricted to Kohler only? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want the handles and finish to match, you are probably restricted to one brand. A diverter would work. You will need a vacuum breaker for the hand shower. Kohler should have one to match their handshower (if it isn't built-into the handshower). This would likely just screw into one end of the hose. My unprofessional experience.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your plumber is being lazy or inexpierenced.we do these all the time. Water is brought from the hot and cold valves into the diverter, then out to the spout or the handheld. Almost ALL handhelds come with a small backflow preventer that is easily attached. The piping,when it's done, can look like a maze sometimes and it can always be a tight fit but it gets done everyday.

flighttnc

Reaction score
Thank you Cal for your insight and for explaining it so well. I was the one who originally asked about using a diverter when my plumber told me that this could not be done with the faucet that I had purchased. This was the first item that he chose to install in my bathroom remodel and since it was confusing for him, this is raising concerns for me for the remainder of my remodel.

He is also having questions about installing an inline heater into my whirlpool tub. The products are both Jacuzzi, but he told me that the plumbing is not correct for the inline heater. (It is the correct inline heater model for the whirlpool model, but he stated that the plumbing along the side of the whirlpool is wrong.) Both products were ordered direct from Jacuzzi. He has asked me to contact a Jacuzzi representative after the holidays to solve this problem.

I realize that my bathroom design is rather involved. (There are other components yet to be installed.) However, the contractor and plumber were aware of all these components prior to starting.

The plumber came to my remodel as hired by my contractor, who has assured me that the plumber is a master plumber and I should not worry. Should I still be concerned and if yes, then what should I do? Since I am new to the world of contractor/subcontractor/client, I am not sure what my role should be.

Thank you for any insight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While you shouldn't have to second guess what is supposed to be a professional, it doesn't seem like he is educated enough to do the job...

To arm yourself, did he leave the installation instructions, throw them away, or take them with him? You can probably find them on the web. I'd read them myself to see how they are supposed to be installed. As a non-pro, if you can understand them (they usually have some good pictures), then there is no reason a pro can't. If you find this to be the case, have a talk with the general contractor. Also, ask the guy to show you his license. He may nor actually have one and be working under someone elses. Did you get a building permit for the job? Usually, that must be posted and shows the license number and signature of the plumber (at least where I live). It is very frustrating when you hire a pro and he isn't. You are the customer. If you are sure the parts supplied (who bought them?) are correct, and the guy doesn't know how to install them or can't give you a good reason why they won't work in this particular situation, I'd be very leary about anything else he did.

My unprofessional opinions.

flighttnc

Reaction score
Thank you Jim for the suggestions. There is a building permit for the job and he does have a license number listed. I purchased the parts and had a discussion about each with him over the phone back in September to make sure I had everything here for him. I will try to follow up through my contractor again. Thank you for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Many "inliine" heaters just fasten to the outlet of the pump, after you disconnect the pipe from it, and then the pipe is reattached to the other side of the heater.

flighttnc

Reaction score
Thanks hj. I spoke with Jacuzzi this morning and they are shipping the parts that were missing from the inline heater box. The whirlpool tub that I purchased is an older model and the current inline heaters are not packaged with the extra parts needed for installation on the older model whirlpool tubs. Thank you for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks