Questions re Toto Drake Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

kahcrt

Reaction score
We're remodeling a 40 year old bathroom in our 200 year old home, and could sure use some help finalizing our decision to try and go with a Toto Drake.

1) Is sanigloss treatment on the entire toilet (inside and outside bowl, inside and outside tank)?

2) Is sanigloss available on the Round or the ADA Drake models?

3) Is the lid on the soft-close seat firm? Can a 200 pound indivual sit on the closed lid without it flexing?

4) No dealers within 40+ miles carry Toto. I've found an online carrier that will ship to individuals. Is that a bad idea?

5) No plumber around here has seen a Toto. Might that cause problems?

Thanks so much for this resource!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1) Is sanigloss treatment on the entire toilet (inside and outside bowl, inside and outside tank)?

I think it's inside the bowl.

2) Is sanigloss available on the Round or the ADA Drake models?

Not at this time. Just the CST744SG-01 elongated.

3) Is the lid on the soft-close seat firm? Can a 200 pound indivual sit on the closed lid without it flexing?

Hey! are you saying 200# is big? That's just normal isn't it?
I think the best I could get down to now is maybe 185, but it would take some work.

4) No dealers within 40+ miles carry Toto. I've found an online carrier that will ship to individuals. Is that a bad idea?

If it works. I only hand deliver toilets. I had too many break.
I cover the Seattle, Eastside, Everett and Tacoma area pretty well.
The paper work and the losses were too much.
I ship other items though.

5) No plumber around here has seen a Toto. Might that cause problems?

Well, I hope they have seen stanadard plumbing parts then.
The fill valve and flapper are made by korky in the US. The parts are carried at the hardware store.

inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

kahcrt

Reaction score
Thanks.

Bless you for the time you spend keeping up with this message board.

Best wishes from the middle of upstate NY farm country.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto makes several versions of their soft-close seat (not all dealers carry all versions). The "normal" one that comes with some toilets won't break if you sit on it, but it will flex a little. Note also that it is not flat,so it is sort of like sitting on a slight dome. The seat is designed to be a cover more than a chair. I'm 230#. I'll sit on it on occasion - it's okay, not something I regularly do. I haven't seen their commercial version so I can't comment, but I know they make them. My guess is that they are designed to take more abuse than a typical residential setting.

I grew up in Spencerport, NY around Rochester...pretty country.

kahcrt

Reaction score
More thanks and follow up.

Thanks also to moderator (that's a job), and for the advice about the lids. Since I'm going to be buying this sight unseen (and seat untried) your response is much appreciated.

I'm still having a heck of a time trying to figure out the difference between:

Elongated SoftClose Toilet Seat SS114
Elongated Traditional SoftClose Toilet Seat SS154
Oval SoftClose Toilet Seat SS204

There is a round seat, too, so the oval one isn't that... then what is it?

And the only difference I can perceive on-line between the two non-commercial elongated seats is the list price.

Any insight?

Thanks. (Spencerport is very nice...)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't really know. Note, they also make the seat in maple. It was hard to tell if they painted it or it was stained, as the pic I saw seemed to show grain. It is not cheap...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I bought an ADA elongated model over the Internet and they shipped it (free shipping) via FedEx. Best-packaged thing I've ever had delivered. I balked at the pricey Toto seat and bought a $28 Bemis soft-close easy-off plastic seat at HD. I thought it was a goofy idea but it turns out to be pretty nice. After I've stumbled around in the dark for my 2:30AM leak, I just get up, give the lid a flip, and head back to bed. By the time I'm just settling in I hear the soft "clunk" as it finally closes. Very nice. Great flush, although there's a pretty loud gurgle as the trap clears, which I thought was normal, but others think is unacceptably loud. The super-quiet toilets seem to spend a lot of time swirling the load around, gradually letting it down the drain, whereas with the Drake it's kind of a wham-bam, thank-you-ma'am thing. The water in the bowl rises briefly, then all of a sudden everything's gone (gurgle-gurgle). Very impressive.

royfred

Reaction score

Hey there! If you don't want a soft close lid, you can buy from a warehouse on the internet. I don't know the address but do a search for Toto. You can buy with or without the soft close lid. It takes off $25.00 without.

Thanks

royfred

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks