questions on replacing Mixet cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonM

Reaction score
My Mixet shower valve was difficult to divert temperature from hot to cold and vice versa. It was about several years since a pro plumber replaced it. The house was built in the 1970's.

So, I bought the following part from the local Home Depot, recommended by the staff there.
"Cartridge for Mixet 58386 PartsmasterPro SH2, Distrubted by Mueller Streamline Co. " shown below.

I replaced it with the new part, by following directions on the internet, and I have 2 questions.

1. The old cartridge came out with no difficulty from the pipe. But the new one, after going in about 1 inch or so, it stopped there. I think the O-ring is bigger than the inside after about 1 inch. I applied the plumber grease enough around the O-ring before inserting. I finally exert some force in pushing further, and it finally went in all the way with difficulty. The old part does not look exactly the same as the new one in the front area.

Is this normal when inserting a new one? Do you think I might have caused some damage inside somewhere by pushing in the cartridge hard? After I screwed in the outside big nut, I checked for leaking in the front, and there is no leak. I also checked the water meter triangle if it is turning at all, and it does not turn at all. So, the front area is not leaking, but is there any chance the back area can be leaking when the water is turned on?

2. I noticed that after the shower valve turned on all the way to the maximum, the water flow amount or pressure is not as much as the old cartridge. Does this say something is not right or can this happen and is it normal?

Thank you very much.

e19b8fbb-2ad7-4a2c-9e6e-6a6a9796de24_400.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Getting exact same stems/cartridges is important for a perfect fit. Also, after market part don't always match, no matter what cross reference states.

JasonM

Reaction score
Getting exact same stems/cartridges is important for a perfect fit. Also, after market part don't always match, no matter what cross reference states.
dj2, thank you very much for the reply.

I still have the old part. Do you think Lowe has some different kind of Mixet cartridge, then?

I think it will be difficult to pull out the new one from the pipe. Do you think it might cause damage to the main valve area if I force the new cartridge out?

Thank you very much.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't waste your time at a big box store. Go directly to a plumbing supply outlet, with the old part in hand.
Other choices: web sites that carry Mixet parts.
Without seeing what you have, if you applied grease on the new cartridge, chances are that your faucet body is not damaged. Just be cautious when extracting the cartridge out. However, if it happened to be damaged, the body will have to be replaced (no big deal).

JasonM

Reaction score
Don't waste your time at a big box store. Go directly to a plumbing supply outlet, with the old part in hand.
Other choices: web sites that carry Mixet parts.
Without seeing what you have, if you applied grease on the new cartridge, chances are that your faucet body is not damaged. Just be cautious when extracting the cartridge out. However, if it happened to be damaged, the body will have to be replaced (no big deal).

dj2, thank you very much for the reply again.
I looked at the old part again, and I think I see the word 'genuine' after the hole in the front where it says 'up'. I do not think there is the word'genuine' on the new one. I should have compared it more carefully. The photo is attached below.

20150704_102324.jpg

May I ask 2 more questions?
1. Is there any tool that pulls this Mixet cartridge out safely without damaging the surrounding area, like Pasco ring nut puller for the compression shut-off valve?
2. Will it be easier to pull out Mixet cartridge after some use like several months because the O-ring on the cartridge is worn out?

I am going to check again if there is any leak in the back of the thread when the water is turned on. It seems there is no leak when the water is turned off.

Thank you very much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks