Questions About Tub/Shower Faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

ClassicTVMan1981

Reaction score
I have questions about certain tub/shower faucets...

1. While I know two-handle and three-handle tub/shower faucets aren't code-compliant today, when they were permissible, which of the two or three configurations seemed to work best, and which of these configurations was more ancient?
(a) Two-handle with push-button diverter in center escutcheon? (cf. Delta 2836)
(b) Three-handle with the middle handle as the diverter? (Delta 2683, 2885)
(c) Two-handle with (tee) diverter on tub filler? (Delta 2680, 2882)

2. Single-handle:
(a) with push-button diverter? (cf. Delta 636, 638, 1636, 1638)
(b) with (tee) diverter on tub filler? (cf. Delta 642, 644, 1646, 1648)
Again, how would you rate bath valves with diverters on the valve itself?

Thank you,

Ben Edge (ClassicTVMan1981)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The least expensive tub/shower valve, and therefore the most commonly sold one today, is a single handled one. But there are two types that are perfectly legal, that have two handles...one type uses one for volume, and the second one for mixing (i.e., temp); the other uses one handle for volume and the second one for a thermostatically controlled mixing valve. My preference is for the latter, but it does cost more. Some are available with integrated diverter valves, some would allow you to use a third valve for the diverter, and many just use the tub spout with a diverter when you have a simple choice of tub or single showerhead. FWIW, using the Delta universal rough-in box, you can install any of those three types.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You question seems to be fixated on Delta, and since that would NOT be my first choice for a multihandle valve all the rest is immaterial. As far as single handle valves go, the "integral diverter" is almost a thing of the past. You either use a separate diverter valve or a spout mounted diverter, with a Delta universal valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks