Questions about going to 200amp service

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffV

Reaction score
I am going to be building a garage addition in a couple months and have a couple questions regarding electrical service. My current service is 100amp (overhead), feeding into the side of my house where the garage addition is going to be built. I put in a work order w/ my power company and they came out and determined that I’m w/in the allowable distance for them to run underground service at no charge to me (up to 200amp).

My question is whether it is possible to go with a 200amp panel in my new garage and connect my existing 100amp panel to it, essentially turning the 100amp panel into a sub-panel? If this scenario is doable, my plan is to run the conduit/wire under the garage slab to connect the two panels - I’m doing this work on my own and want to do as much as the non-“hot†work as possible before having an electrician come out and make final connections. What type/size wire is used to connect the two panels? How about the conduit, 2â€, 2/5†or 3â€?

Thanks for any thoughts - Jeff

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
panel

In my own houses, I always put the main panel inside the garage and ran a feed from the meter socket, the meter socket had a main disconnect on or next to it. (I am paranoid about having a panel outdoors where anyone who wants to could turn off my breakers, and a padlock would just keep the honest people honest.)

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
You can leave the 100 amp panel and make it a sub-panel if you want, or you can rip all that out and replace the 100a with a 200a panel, but, if you do convert that 100 amp panel, then you are going to have to separate all the grounds and neutrals and install a ground bar in the panel... and feed the subpanel with 4 wires...

JeffV

Reaction score
My plan is to upgrade to 200amp service when I build the garage and install the new panel - that is not in question. My question was whether it's doable to then make my existing 100amp into a SUB of the new main panel. From what Chris75 says, it sounds like that is definitely doable. I would have no desire to convert the old 100amp panel to 200amp if there is no need. I can't see a need if I'm going to have a brand new 200 amp main panel in the garage w/ a ton of open slots...does anyone else??

My only other question is what type/size of wire to run from my 200amp main to my 100amp sub? Chris75 - you may have answered this...did you mean to say "...if you don't convert that 100 amp..."??

Thanks - Jeff

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I would definitely install the 200 Amp service on the bigger of the two buildings, for obvious reasons... In your case I'm assuming it will be the House, then I would run 2" pvc to the garage for the subpanel, I would probably pull #1 AL. for the sub-panel feeder... This is just generic because I can't actually see your situation. and all situations are different ;)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can feed a 100 Amp subpanel with #3 copper. You will need a #4 copper neutral and probably a #8 ground (I don't have my code available for a few days to be sure of size).

You could get a piece of #2 Aluminum SE R and run a 90 Amp circuit for the subpanel and wouldn't need conduit. You could probably get #1 Aluminum SE R and run 100+ Amps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks