Questions about a mortar bed for Sterling Vikrell tub

Users who are viewing this thread

TedL

Reaction score
I'm installing a Vikrell tub, and trying to follow the supplied instructions for the optional mortar bed. I have a problem with one step of the instructions, which reads as follows:

"Spread a 2 inch layer of cement or mortar on the subfloor except where the bath feet will be set."

The tub, in the area to be supported, contains appx. 15 pegs in three rows (plus one not in line), which I assume are the "feet" referred to in the instruction. How does one spread a 2" layer and avoid these 15 or 16 loctions? Or, in practice, do you not bother avoiding them?

It also says to put a piece of plastic drop cloth over the mortar before positioning the tub. Is 4 mil plastic too thick?

Molo

Reaction score
I'm guesssing the plastic is to prevent staining of the tub. Just a guess. As far as the mortar avoiding the support posts I would call customer service until I got a good answer. I feel your pain, How the heck are you suppose to keep it away from the several posts under the tub???I'd be inclined to not worry about that. But by all means look into it, and get a good explanation. A tub full of water and a human can weigh 1/4 ton + !!

Molo

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've installed several Sterling performas made of Vikrell... never even thought about using mortar under a tub till I found this forum and now it will be part of my installs from now on. I used plastic under the first one as a moisture barrier on a wooden floor. On the second one it was on old concrete so I just let'er rip. I suppose the idea of using plastic on top may be to keep the mortar from sticking to the vikrell or maybe there is a possiblity that the vikrell doesn't like the chemicals in the mortar.

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
Randy, thanks for the link. I've been hanging out here for a while, and saw it when first posted, and my problem is that it contradicts the supplied instructions. I'm willing to go against the instructions if I have an experienced plumber tell me he does it all the time for these particular products, with the same "feet", but not if it's just his general pracice with other designs.

I can put in three strips of wood 1.5 wide by 2.0 high (net measurements) to cover the location of the three rows of pegs, and add a small piece for the one not in line. The 2 inch height would let me put in the mortar and strike the specified level. I could then remove the wood, cover with plastic (making sure to leave slack at the peg rows so that it doesn't pull the mortar down as the tub pushes the plastic down) and drop the tub into place.

I'd just rather not go to all the bother if it doesn't improve the quality of the installation. But my primary concern is to Do it once; do it right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks