Question: thermostats & outdoor reset

Users who are viewing this thread

jlast

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at selecting thermostats for a radiant floor system. The system has outdoor reset, Tekmar 356 injection mixing. Some zones are 4" slab, 1/2" PEX 12" o.c., rest is extruded Thinfin C plates 8" O.C. under subfloor. My question is, should I use a radiant-specific thermostat like Tekmar or Uponor that does PWM cycling, or should I use a simple differential thermostat, in these different types of zones? With my outdoor reset parameters set properly, I want to get as close as possible to constant circulation. In the slab zones, I figure that I will have to rely on the thermostat to do more modulating, since the output of the slabs will be higher than the plates given the same water temperature (it's a single temp system).

So what I'm thinking right now is to use a simple differential thermostat in the plate zones (and tune the outdoor reset curve to hold the right temp, using the thermostat as just a high limit), and use a radiant-type thermostat in the slab zones. Does this sound right?

Also, in looking at the basic Honeywell thermostats, even those all have a cycles-per-hour setting, so will this still be turning the plate zones on and off, or will it allow me to simply "ride" the outdoor reset and have more or less constant circulation?

Thanks,
Jake

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks