Question re: p-trap for special needs tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Kelly Holmberg

Reaction score
I have a daughter with special needs for whom I have built a tub that is about waist high so we can stand to give her a bath. Facing the tub on the left (foot end) is a pop-up stopper. The tub then slopes up to the right (head end), which is about 5 inches higher than the foot end. The drain goes to a p-trap, then to a double sanitary T with a clean out on top. The over flow at the head goes to the other side of the double sanitary T. The double sanitary T then connects via a 90 degree elbow to a sanitary T in the vertical vent and down to the rest of the drain system in the ceiling of the basement.

My question, after all that, is with regards to the venting and gases that may work their way to the overflow (since there is no p-trap). I was going to put a second p-trap between the double sanitary T and the over flow, but given this will rarely have water in the over flow, is this an acceptable method or the proper way to do this?

Thanks for you help and guidance.

Reach4

Reaction score
The overflow needs a P-trap to service it. If you have a separate P-trap, you want to make sure that trap does not dry out. If you typically run the bath full enough that water sloshes into the overflow regularly, that should solve the problem. If you only put a little water in the tub so water normally would not slosh into the overflow, you would have to take steps to add some water every couple weeks or have a trap filler of some sort.

Alternatively, you could plumb the overflow to join the drain water before the P-trap.

I am not a plumber.

Kelly Holmberg

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. Given how shallow this is, it would not be difficult to get water into the over flow every few days

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any tub needs a trap after the waste and overflow and before it ties into the waste system.
The water seal in the trap is what stops the smelly air from entering the room.

dwv_b2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks