Question on venting??

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Buchanan

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am been getting some great information by visiting this website. I found it mostly through google searches. I did have a question and I am in Illinois regarding a remodel of a 1.5 story house. On the main floor, my kitchen and the one bathroom there share a wall. The house was currently plumbed with what I believe you call a wet vent were everything is dumped down the main stack. Upstairs there was a toliet and sink only. I am expanding the bathroom and adding a shower(upstairs). I am pretty sure I figured everything out except when it comes to the venting. On the main floor, (correct me if I am wrong) I was going to run a 2" vent for the toliet, bath sink, tub and kitchen sink. My question is once I reach the attic space area I wanted to connect a couple vents before going out the roof. How far can I go horizontally to connect before I go out the roof? Also, the main stack was serving as the only vent before so can I connect to it above the fixture level(2nd floor) to utilize it as a vent? I also have a floor drain in the basement and it was connecting horizontally(first floor vent).

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A 2" vent should be fine for your new install. If you tie the vents into an existing stack, it must be above the flood rim of any fixtures which are draining into it. The horizontal section across the attic is not a problem as long as all of the vents are pitched to drain condensation.

Steven Buchanan

Reaction score
Thank you Cheesehead! Much appreciated! I've been racking my brain the last couple weeks trying to figure this out. I am much better with electrical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks