Question on trip lever tub drain-bucket size universal?

Users who are viewing this thread

plantingourpennies

Reaction score
Hello All-

House built in mid '80s, single story in Florida. Trip lever system has not worked during our ownership (5 years). Tub was draining slowly so I removed the trip lever face plate and found that there was no linkage attached (nor had their been for quite some time based on calcification pattern). I fished out a huge hairball, which fixed the slow draining problem, used a camera to verify that there was no linkage/bucket in the pipe.

I bought a new linkage from the hardware store, but the bucket/plunger appears to be too large in diameter! The bucket enters the top portion of pipe (pvc) and fits very well, but gets caught where the pipe necks down to a smaller size about 2-3" above the "T" that leads horizontally to the shower/tub drain.

1.) Are there different sized plunger/buckets; is it possible that I purchased the wrong one?
2.) Are some of the tub drain/overflow pipes not designed to use this drain system?

We would like to get this system working as designed; any help is much appreciated.

EDIT-Forgot to mention, the tub drain itself has only a cross bar with a hole in the center.

Best,
Mr and Mrs. PoP

PS-Terry, this is a wonderful forum! Great knowledge-base with the members, looks slick as well.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
keeney_bath_drain_kit.jpg

Keeney makes a bath drain repair kit that adds a stopper at the drain, and replaces the overflow plate. Then you don't have to worry about the bucket sizing.

Danco also makes a kit like this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. YES. They are proprietary and each company makes their own size.
2. Also, YES. but if it has a "trip lever" it did have a bucket at one time.
3. The conversion unit Terry shows is the best way to fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks