question on the "Drake"

Users who are viewing this thread

NoEffort

Reaction score
I just installed the Drake. The tank will move if pulled or pushing it with little pressure. Is this normal?

On the install I did not tighten so the tank and bowl are touching, there is about 1/4" of clearance between them.

Thanks

All set, guess its a good idea to read the instructions first!
Need 3 points of contact between bowl and tank.

Last edited:

bg

Reaction score
I have the same situation. I just installed a Drake and the tank
rocks a little. The instructions stated to tighten until the 3
contact points are meant and then a bit more. Mine moves
but doesn't leak. I don't know if this is the way they are
suppose to be either.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you tighten the bolts evenly side-to-side, you can get it so the tank is tight to the bowl. I like to stop when it is almost touching. At that point, it is just barely perceptable movement.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Jim points out, evenly from side to side and I would add a little at a time side to side. Rock the tank a bit, push down on it as you go to help things come together.

bg

Reaction score
Oh..Well for me thanks for the heads-up.
bg

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've also found that it pays to spend a little extra time to ensure the tank is initially set on the seal perfectly parallel to the bowl. If the tank is cockeyed to start, it will be more difficult to bring it down evenly onto the tank.

sweetprudy

Reaction score
movement of the tank

My tank was moving as well and when I questioned my plumber about it he thought that was how it should be. I didn't, but I let it go...it was even and working well. Until about 3 weeks later I was cleaning and it had gotten sooo loose I was scared to touch it! I called TOTO and spoke with an installer there and he stated that there should be no movement at all. He felt that my plumber had not tightened the bolts enough and that once that was done there should be no problem. I called him and he said he was nervous about cracking..but I told him to just go for it and I would be responsible. Needless to say he tightened the sides slowly and evenly and there is no movement at all...nice & secure as it should be. Just a matter of going slowly...but now it's as it should be. If you don't tighten it as it should be it'll just keep loosening through movement! Tighten up!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The rubber gasket also squeezes down after awhile, making it easier to tighten it up. I like to leave just a barely perceptable gap (maybe put a sheet of paper), but as long as there is no tension on it as in porcelain to porcelain pressure, it should be fine. Porcelain doesn't bend very well, but is pretty strong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks