Question on plunger/stopper inside a tub waste overflow drain

Users who are viewing this thread

David054

Reaction score
I'm installing a moen tub waste overflow drain w/trip lever and can't figure out how the plunger/stopper can stop the water from draining. I've attached three pics to show my dilemma: 1) "moen instructions.JPG", 2) "plunger tee side by side.JPG" and 3) "plunger in tee.JPG".

The first pic shows Moen's instructions for adjusting the plunger linkage in the overflow pipe.

The second pic shows the plunger next to the tee. It depicts where the plunger bottoms out inside the overflow pipe and tee.

Pic 3 is a view of the plunger inside the tee.

What I can't figure out is how the plunger when fully seated in the overflow and tee can possibly stop the water from draining out of the tub. It stops in the tee above the connector where the tub drain connects. Has anyone installed one of these and can this be right?

Attachments

• moen instructions.JPG
    moen instructions.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 466
  • plunger tee side by side.JPG
    plunger tee side by side.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 609
  • plunger in tee.JPG
    plunger in tee.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 724

David054

Reaction score
Thanks Smooky. I should have clarified that the inside diameter of the tee tapers to where it is too narrow for the plunger to proceed any further, but you confirmed what I suspected, that the plunger should be able to block the opening where the tub drain connects. This must be a manufacturing defect where the inside of the tee was supposed to be honed out or something where it narrows to allow the plunger to slide past that point.

David054

Reaction score
Problem solved! Right after my last post I found that the inside of the tee around the tub drain connector had been honed out, but was coated with a fine dusting of brass particles. I cleaned them out with water and a bottle cleaning brush. Now the plunger slides through effortlessly. The tolerances are very tight, so all it took was that fine coating of brass dust to make it too tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks