Question on new pressure tank install.. outside barn hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Featherz

Reaction score
Hubby decided to pay someone to do the pressure tank install, so that's done. The old wreck is ready to go to the curb. I think we could have done a better job, personally. Water pressure is excellent now, tho.

One problem - my barn hydrant no longer works. No air or water is coming out, it's just dead. Worked fine before the install and didn't work when I got home to water the animals. All the valves in the room the plumber was in appear to be open and DH doesn't remember any special connections that are no longer there. Have already emailed the installer, but any ideas on what this could be? The old tank only had the same connections as the new, there's no open ended pipes sticking out anywhere.. valves appear to be open. Could it be something other than a missed connection or a closed valve?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bet the old tank didnt have a check valve and the new one does. The check valve prevents the water from back feeding the hydrant.

Featherz

Reaction score
You are right, I believe!! So we need to remove the check valve to make our hydrant work? Is this something we can make them do or would that be against codes? :)

Featherz

Reaction score
You guys are awesome! thanks! We tried everything and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I just gutted the innards of a toilet and replaced it so I can manage removing a checkvalve. My barns are too far out to walk in the winter with 5 gallon buckets filled up from the sink. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks