Question on heat pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Hidden 1

Reaction score
Do most 3 ton heat pump package systems-electric come with both sets of breakers in shut off box- one for air and the other for heat?
And can a single stage heat pump put out ANY heat if there is only 1 set of 60amp fuses on one side of disconnect,nothing on the other?
also is 2 stage the same as 2 phase?
Any info is appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most heat pump installations come with auxiliary electric resistance heating elements, and those are where the high current breakers are usually involved. Heat pumps lose their effectiveness as the source heat is colder, and at some point, they become ineffective which is one reason where the electric resistance (essentially big electric heating elements) are turned on. Often, that is called emergency heat, or, if the structure needs a lot of heat fast (say it was setback for a long time and is cold soaked), both the emergency heat and the heat pump might be turned on.

So, one breaker for the compressor (heat pump) and others for the emergency heat is fairly common, and unless it is too cold to extract enough heat, not having the emergency heating elements powered up and ready, yes, it will produce heat when they are off.

Hidden 1

Reaction score
ok thanks --so i can still get regular aux heat and ac on a system with only one side on my shut off hooked up with a set of 60/60 ..other side has no fuses

KatyKat

Reaction score
Are the same pumps that work with radiators suitable for baseboard or trench heaters?

KatyKat

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for advice. I'm going to buy Verano and I'm not sure if their trench heaters require some other preparations than I have already made. But will ask the guys.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
....also is 2 stage the same as 2 phase?
Any info is appreciated!

No, they are not related. A 2 stage would be stage one is "heat pump only" and stage two would be "AUX heat (electric heating elements) to supplement the heat pump. Two phase is the electrical side of things. When you have a 220 volt motor, you have two 110 phases that are must be out of phase, usually 90 or 180 degrees different. Your heat pump unit, is it an air conditioner with a heat pump or heat only? It makes a difference where the breakers must be.

ramBoM

Reaction score
KatyKat - I have never heard trench heaters from that manufacturer caused any problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for advice. I'm going to buy Verano and I'm not sure if their trench heaters require some other preparations than I have already made. But will ask the guys.
faker

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks