Question on bill to repair cracked pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

user121

Reaction score
Firt time poster here. I read all the rules, and I think it's ok to ask this question-- sorry if not...... thanks for reading this!

>note: pictures attached
Had a leaking pipe in the wall behind kitchen cabinets coming from kitchen sink drain. Only way to access pipe was to remove built-in cabinets, or remove outside siding. Called plumber and he recommended removing siding. I removed the siding and had all the plumbing exposed and ready to go.

He quoted hourly rate of $70. Said should take 1 hour to fix--but 2 at the absolute max- plus parts. "Worst case" he says, 2 hours plus parts- "no more than $200".

Appointment was at 3pm, they show up at 2pm. Sent 2 guys. They said they can replace bad section of galvanized. I asked them to replace all exposed galvanized with PVC, maybe 10' total, with a few bends and a tee. Ran PVC from existing sink trap to tee, Fernco'd up to vent, and ran PVC down to cast iron stack and fernco'd there. (Pics attached).
1 guy did most of the work, other helped towards end. They were done and gone by 3pm. Exactly 1 hour to fix. I replaced all the siding later.

Got bill in mail today. No item breakdown, just says "bill: $200. Thank you".

My questions:
Did he charge $200 just because he said "max $200"?
Shouldn't 1 hour plus parts be closer to $100?
Do they bill $70 per guy they send??
Is this a $200 job?

I don't 'think' it was that difficult of job. I hired someone for the peace of mind that it was done correctly. Should I call them, or does this seem like a fair quote and bill?

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• pl1.jpg
    pl1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 619
  • pl2.jpg
    pl2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 596
  • pl3.jpg
    pl3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 634

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it was time and materials, the helper doesn't get paid as much as the plumber, but does get paid. Also, many places charge travel time, so 2-hours would give them 1/2-hour each end to come and go.

But, what is there would not pass code most places...the rubber coupling is only allowed underground in most places. You are supposed to use the thinner one with the metal reinforcement (a no-hub connecter). Those keep the ends of the two pipes aligned properly.

proflex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bill to repair cracked pipe

Yes this a very fair bill and you should pay it right away ! !

You asked for price to do a certain task, replace a tee and a few feet of pipe

you personally changed the job by requested all galv. Pipe be changed ! !

Which changed the scope of work and materials ! !

If he was est. The entire scope of work he might have qty, you $250.00 or

more he stuck to his not to exceed price per the contract

you are the one who changed the job ! ! !

user121

Reaction score
sorry- I explained it wrong. When I was given the quotes on the phone, it was to replace the galvanized with PVC. This was from the owner himself. The 2 guys that came out didn't know this.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So what do you think is fair? Say 50 bucks? a few feet of plastic and a couple fittings. Couldn't cost more than 15 bucks for the materials tops right? Never mind his insurance costs, payroll, taxes, gas, heat and electricity, trucks, tools and equipment, office help. Just pay the damn bill, the guy treated you more than right.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I think your confusion may be in the hourly rate charged
Most plumbers have a min fee, & the travel time
I went thru 6 plumbers before I could even get one to show up & do the job!!!

Yes, the price is fair

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That price seems really fair to me.
I would keep that guys phone number handy.

It was nice of him to run more piping then the boss was going to do.

proflex.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lighten up man, I'm sure he was just kidding. Wouldn't be in business otherwise.

user121

Reaction score
Sorry-- didn't mean to upset everyone. :eek:

I called several shops, some charged a flat rate while others charged by the hour. I chose to go with an hourly rate plumber. I guess the perception is you get a more accurate/honest(?) bill versus the flat rate plumber. But maybe that's just me?

I was just confused when I was told they charged by the hour, but the bill said "$200 as per quoted price". Is it a flat rate or hourly? He didn't "quote" a price, he estimated and said up to $200, based on hours worked. Probably could have avoided the confusion by billing me per hour like they said they do, and make it add up to $200. Do I make any sense? lol, probably not. Sorry for rambling.....

The last thing I want to do is rip anyone off. The consensus is that it was a fair price. I definitely will pay him.

Thanks for all your input

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Lighten up¿ Why don't you go put your duct tape dunce cap back on! lol

I just didn't want this poster to go away thinking, "DIY forum¿ Yeah right.:( "

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of the "Book" plumbers would have charged twice that.
However, most of the time, they just charge $49 to drive out and give you the job amount, you send them on their way, and the next truck drives out and charges $49 for their estimate and so on and so on.

It sounds like this guy actually wanted to "do" the work.

I can't tell you how many times I get called after someone has paid for a few of the big ad price check drive by's.

It's weird how pipe can go bad like that.
A kitchen sink line has a lot to handle. They are always the first to perforate and need replacing.
Bars and nightclubs that mix a lot of drinks will eat right through metallic piping, must be the limes and lemons.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
☻ ε § / ) v ¼ ó ©

They're special "codes" using the "alt" button.
For example, hold alt key then type four numbers when you release the alt key the symbol will show up.

I tried to google a character map but what I found didn't seem to match up.
This did help some: click here..........the board doesn't like the link. Just google "special codes alt key" or something like that.

☼ ► » ♀ ♫

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bill

Most plumbers who charge $70.00 per hour are on the slow track to bankruptcy. Depending on the level of the assistant, he might get paid the same as the lead plumber, regardless of what he had to do. If two men are required, you cannot just pay the second one whenever he does something. Here, it would cost at least $100.00 per hour for one man, including travel time, and the bill goes up from there.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Plumbers would not get out of bed for anything less than $500 for a job around here.

And they'd arrive late (sometimes not at all). Yours were an hour early.

I'd whistle a sweet song if I'd received that bill.

And I would have never learnt to DIY......there would have been no need to with those prices.

Just think, I would have had my weekends back.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
user121;201949 My questions: 1.Did he charge $200 just because he said "max $200"? 2.Shouldn't 1 hour plus parts be closer to $100? 3.Do they bill $70 per guy they send?? 4.Is this a $200 job? Thanks again!!![/quote said:
1. Maybe
2. Around here...closer to $85 for the plumber and $45 for the helper. Many shops will add "mileage" , "fuel surcharge", "trip charge" or some other add on language. There's $50 or so of material. And by the UPC, they could charge you for oranic vapor respirators or air feds, because of the glue job.
3. see #2
4. Plenty of shops would have nicked you $400/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks