Question - Is there anything wrong with this pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hooverpartyof4

Reaction score
Carla&JasonKit.jpg

Friends of mine just had their kitchen done and they hired out a contractor. They sent me pics and as I was flipping through them I noticed one pic that stood out. I am no contractor but I have seen enought work done around my house to "ask" questions. If you look at the photo - the sink pipe runs along the outside of a wall, around a corner and hooks into the location where the old sink drain pipe. (right to left)

Quesitons;
1) Is the run to the old drain too far not to have a vent pipe until it ties into the "old" drian?

2) wrapping the piping around the outside corner - does that compromise structure?

Thanks for any feedback.

-Chris
Lexington, KY

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It does appear that you are correct in your thinking. Does your area not have a requirement for building permits and inspections? If it does, both the homeowner and the plumber have a problem.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, there are several things wrong. #1 the studs that the pipe is run through are load bearing and you can't take that much out of them. #2 the distance from trap to vent is too far and #3 in no case load bearing or not can you notch a stud or joist as deep as the one in the corner. The structural integrity of the home has been seriously compromised and at this point may require an engineer to approve a solution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks