Question about wall-hung Maris. Geberit and TOTO carriers

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by NJ Mike, Dec 9, 2013.

1. NJ Mike

NJ Mike New Member

I'm about to re-tile an area of my house that includes a tiny half bath. I'm considering replacing an ancient full-size floor-mounted toilet with a wall-hung toilet. It would make the bathroom much less cramped. I had a very good experience recently replacing an old toilet in another bathroom with a Toto Guinevere, so I'm inclined to stay with Toto and get a wall-hung Maris for this bathroom.

I have a couple of questions though:

The toilet would be mounted on an outside wall. Should I be concerned about freezing? It doesn't usually get bitter cold (subzero) here for any length of time, but it can stay below freezing for several days at a time. The pipes for the sink are already in the same wall and they haven't frozen yet, but they are insulated, and this install would take up most of the wall cavity (limiting or eliminating any room for insulation).

I've seen in other discussions that people use a Geberit mounting solution and tank with the Maris rather than the Toto mount/tank. What's the reason for this?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

They make carriers for 2x4 and 2x6 walls. the tank sits inside the wall, so it seems a little iffy to put this on an outside wall. If you open up your wall, there is a very good chance that you will find plumbing vents there. Those will need to be moved. It's a pretty major change when a carrier like this is added.
    If you decide to install on an outside wall, it may make sense to add some thickness to the wall and put foam board behind the carriers tank to prevent freezing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TOTO WT151M carrier
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. Mathelo

Mathelo New Member

I'm installing one of theses in my bath remodel. The vent is on the main trunk, which is 3 to 4 ft from the toilet. Is that close enough?

Louis
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Within six feet if fine for the toilet.