Question about TOTO Eco Drake 2 float inside tank

Users who are viewing this thread

DaMan

Reaction score
I just ran across your web site and I must say that you and all the people on this forum are gods among men. Really! If it was not for you and the people who contribute to the benefit of our society, I think we would be still living in the Stone Age. With that in mind, I have a question. I just had 3 TOTO EcoDrake 2 toilets installed in my house. These replaced 3 builder special toilets that were installed in my house, which one of them flooded my master bath and closet. Anyway, I have noticed two out of the three have this little black float hooked to the chain that the flapper is attached to. Does this little black float do anything? I cannot find any info on this. Even on TOTO’s web site, their PDF file showing the parts cut sheet does not show the float as part of the list. It just shows a flapper and chain. Can you please enlighten me about the job of this little black float?? Please?? :cool: BTW, my new toilets are the coolest thing I have ever seen before. Call me crazy, but they are cool to watch flush. :cool:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a weight to make the flapper drop quicker. Removing the weight converts it to the 1.6 gallon.
Not that anyone ever does remove it. But you could.
The replacement flappers either come without the weight for 1.6 or with the weight for 1.28

DaMan

Reaction score
Ahh, Terry, you showing some love. :D Thank you for repsponding so quickly. Now I have to call the place I purchased them from and complain that I am missing a weight. Jesus, what a mess.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto is not alone in this, but sometimes, the little weights aren't crimped on properly (Toto does not make the flappers, they buy them pretty much like everyone else), the thing will get flushed down into the toilet. Depending on where it goes, it usually can't get out as the holes in the bowl are too small. This can mess with the water velocity and the proper flushing action, especially if more than one ends up in there! Since you have three, see if you notice any difference in how they flush. You might need to take it apart and probe a bit...it may have been there, and got flushed, or it may never have been there.

DaMan

Reaction score
No, It was never there to begin with. I looked at it after they were installed. In fact, The flapper is even a different color than the other two upstairs. It is like the entire flapper assembly was replaced. I called the retail place I purchased them from and they gave me a kit. Now all three match and have the weight with the correct flapper.

This is what I am talking about.

toto_thu252wa_12310.jpg

Last edited:

DaMan

Reaction score
See the black float attached to the chain? It was missing on one toilet. On top of that, the flapper was a greenish blue color with the words TOTO on it. This is on top of two of my toilets were cracked in the bottom of the bowl. This allowed water to leak onto my floor under the toilet. the plumber tested this with blue dye. Fortunatly, I had a very cool plumber who took it upon himself to return the defective toilets and had them replaced with non-defective TOTO's. What a nightmare this has been. I am very thankful for the plumber and what he did. Now everything is A-OK! No leaks, nice toilets, less water, and awsome flush. I am happy.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like someone dropped them off the truck! They certainly don't leave the factory that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks