Question about toilet venting requirements

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by scottgibson, Oct 6, 2009.

1. scottgibson

scottgibson New Member

Hi All, I'm planning on adding a toilet in the basement of our house, The toilet will be about 24" from a vent stack. I was hoping to hook things up as indicated in the diagram below. Is this a valid way to hook it up? Or will I need an additional vent.

Thanks,

Scott

http://moddedreality.dreamhosters.com/public/plumbing%20diagram.png

Attached Files:

2. jdgoodman

jdgoodman Journeyman Plumber

No you will need to vent the new toilet in the basement seperatly.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Something like this.

[​IMG]
    Gold star added by Terry

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
  5. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

If that really is a 4" stack with only one fixture on it (a shower perhaps?) on the second floor, then you could wet vent a toilet on the first floor. But a 4" line for just one fixture is overkill....you better verify what is connected to that line, otherwise, you will need to vent that toilet as nhmaster has shown.
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

No ya can't. You can't wet vent anything with fixtures above.
  7. scottgibson

scottgibson New Member

Hey all, thanks for the feedback. My diagram simplified things a little. There is a toilet, shower and sink above. So I guess I need to find a way to tap into a vent line (I'll have to open up the wall in the floor above)

How far away from the toilet flange can I attach the 'Y' for the vent? I only have 24" before the stack.

Thanks again,

Scott
  8. scottgibson

scottgibson New Member

Something like this?

Attached Files:

9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

That is one way, but only a physical examination would tell if it was the best way. Where did the lavatory come from? That would have changed the above answers, even the wrong ones.