Question about drainage slope

Users who are viewing this thread

jjgmorgan

Reaction score
Is there a maximum vertical drop distance allowed for a drain pipe? I have a 2" drain pipe for my kitchen sink. Is runs 10 feet at 1/4 per foot slope. I now need to drop vertically to the 3" main drain line.

Asktom

Reaction score
After the vent there is no limit on steepness of slope, before the vent (trap arm) is a different ballgame with different rules.

jjgmorgan

Reaction score
Lets say a drain pipe runs 8 feet, you have a 2" slope. The pipe then goes 90 and drops two feet. Another 90 puts it running horizontal again. What would be the slope at that point for another 8 foot run? It it going to be 2" or 4"?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Or, IOW, you need a MINIUMUM of 1/4" per foot on any horizontal run - essentially forget the verticals or diagonals, or whatever, as they ARE above the MINIMUM...the slope is for ALL parts of the system. Nowhere can it be without slope downwards, and should never try to go up again unless you have a pump there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What would be the slope at that point for another 8 foot run? It it going to be 2" or 4"?

Every horizontal section is computed individually, therefore its "minimum" slope would be 1/4"/ft, or 2". The original 8' section has NOTHING to do with it, once it changed elevations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks