Question about shower valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hugo Strasser

Reaction score
We started to redo out shower from scratch and I was looking for a very long time for a suitable shower valve. In Germany we have single lever action valves which regulate volume and temperature at the same time with a nice lever and turn action. I could not find anything similar in the US so I finally settled with a moentrol 3520 valve. It is the closest to what I have in mind although the volume control is a pull and push action which is rather on and off than actually controlling the volume. It does not allow you to fine tune the volume.

By accident I found a Wall Mounted Bathroom Faucet from Vigo that is 100% what I would like to have in our shower and I ask myself what is the difference between a shower valve and a faucet valve. Apart from the fact that this Vigo valve is 5 times cheaper than the moentrol. I understand the Moen valve has temperature stops and is pressure-balancing (I don't need that! ) but other then that what it the difference? And if so why can't I use this faucet valve to control my shower?
moentrol.JPG
vigo.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Legally, it must be pressure balanced for a shower.
The Moen 3520 is a Moentrol, which controls both volume and temperature, and very nicely too.
A lav wall faucet is dialed down to something like 2 gallons a minute or less, and may not survive on a wet wall.

Hugo Strasser

Reaction score
Legally, it must be pressure balanced for a shower.
The Moen 3520 is a Moentrol, which controls both volume and temperature, and very nicely too.
A lav wall faucet is dialed down to something like 2 gallons a minute or less, and may not survive on a wet wall.

So how much gallons per minute does the 3520 do? I cannot find any info about that.

I bought the Moen 3520 already and I assembled it together with the trim. The Volume control sucks. If you pull the handle at its end you force the valve axis upwards. I don't see how this can do any good to the cartridge and it will certainly shorten it's lifetime.
I do not want to brake any laws of course. Are there any shower valves with the same mixer and volume control action then a faucet valve?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cartridge in the Moen may go twenty years. And it has a lifetime warranty.
I don't think it's a worry.

Moentrol 3520 @ 60 PSI
Tub port - 7.2 GPM
Shower port -6.3 GPM

• equipped with the Moentrol® pressure–balancing control valve: control allows you to adjust both water volume and temperature; pressure–balancing feature helps maintain temperature even when other water sources in the house are in use

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you have a Moentrol, you must not have a very steady hand when you pull on the handle, because all you have to do is STOP pulling when the volume is adequate. There are MANY tub/shower valves, besides the MoenTrol, which control the volume and temperature separately.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Grohe sells some with the features you want in the USA. Delta does as well. I have a Grohe thermostatically controlled valve in my home, and I put in a Delta at my mother's. Both allow you to control volume and temperature separately.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks