Question about reversing garbage disposal position.

Users who are viewing this thread

stupid48

Reaction score
Hi there,

I reconfigured my cabinets so my prep space has changed sides on the counter. Currently, my garbage disposal is on the right side of the double sink and I would like to move it to the left side. I have this setup currently:

and I would assume I would just do the opposite when I move the disposal to the left:

But then I ran across an article that says it might be better to do two p-traps with a Y on the drain:
Does this seem reasonable or should I gust stick with reversing everything...

Thanks, Chris

KitchenDrain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stupid48

Reaction score
I think I may have already answered my question because the Y would not feed directly into a 2" waste line. The waste line runs along the wall for 2 feet and then drops into a larger line. I know I can't feed two 1 1/2" traps into a Y if the other side of the Y is not larger. So, it's back to a single trap. The new sink is a deeper one so I believe I need to get rid of the 90 degree end and get a disposal type end kit...

stupid48

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to do it that way. I was just curious about peoples thoughts on one p-trap per sink...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks