Question About Removing Bathtub Skirt

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SoonerLawyer, Dec 29, 2010.

1. SoonerLawyer

SoonerLawyer New Member

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of replacing bathtube fixtures. The bathtub is acrylic with deck mounted fixtures. There doesn't appear to be an access panel to the tub but it looks like I can gain access through the skirt on the front of the tub. The issue is that I don't see any screws or bracket to remove the skirt. It looks like it is a rectangular piece of acrylic with a line along the length of the tub as well as down the left side of the front of the tube. Do I just take a knife along those lines to break the seal and then gently pull the piece of acrylic away from the tub? I had always thought skirts were held with screws which is why my tub is throwing me off a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

It's hard to say what you have without a picture. I have seen some held in place with a strip of Velcro.

John
  3. SoonerLawyer

SoonerLawyer New Member

Here are a couple of photos of the tub and the seams I was talking about.

Attached Files:

4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Definitely not held in place with Velcro. The best way to access the faucet may be through the wall behind the tub.

John
  5. SoonerLawyer

SoonerLawyer New Member

The other side of the wall has some built in shelving that would have to be removed. I was hoping to avoid doing that but probably doable if that is the better way to access the faucet.
  6. HomeRepairGuy

HomeRepairGuy New Member

If you do that, it would be a perfect opportunity to build a secret compartment or two to store valuables. Might help turn a minus into a plus.. ;)
    HRG
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The skirt may be held in place with the silicone grout, but it could also be glued with construction adhesive, which means the skirt COULD be damaged during the removal. If I had to do anything, I might try removing the smaller end panel first, that would then give you access to the back of the skirt to see how it is fastened.
  8. SoonerLawyer

SoonerLawyer New Member

Good idea of course I would actually need some valuables first! :p
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Good idea of course I would actually need some valuables first! :p

From your "name" I would assume you are a lawyer from OK, (Sooner, boomer), and should have at least some valuables if you are a successful lawyer, that is.