Question About Pump Pressure To Irrigation System

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by bob-texas, Jul 26, 2014.

1. bob-texas

bob-texas New Member

I have a 2 hp 27 gpm pump in the pond going to stations with 6 heads that total 18 gpm. This has been working great for 3 years. I recently took a second system off the city water supply and connected it to the pond supply. This system has lots of 1/2 and 1/4 round heads. The pressure is extreme on some of the stations. I thought about connecting 2 stations together in the controller, but read where this could damage the controller. My questions are.....will this overload my pump ? Is there a pressure relief valve that can be installed in the main line to manage the high pressure ? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If the pump is started from the sprinkler controller you can add a Cycle Stop Valve to hold steady pressure. After the CSV I would install a small pressure relief valve that will only pop up if the controller starts the pump but neglects to turn on the sprinklers, which does happen. The CSV will hold whatever pressure you want on the sprinklers and run a zone as small as about 2 GPM. A pressure relief valve is just for safety as they will quickly wear out if they dump water on a regular basis. Not to mention the pressure relief waste water and energy.
  3. bob-texas

bob-texas New Member

Thanks Valveman, Home Depot and Lowe's have a small 3/4 " valve. Is this type good enough ?
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Most 3/4 valves at HD or Lowes will not do the pressure relief job. None of them would do the Cycle Stop Valve job. :rolleyes:
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

If you connect the pipes so the two are on one zone, the controller wouldn't know or care.
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

A water pressure regulator is a good way to manage water pressure. Who would have thought ?