Question About Pump Pressure To Irrigation System

Users who are viewing this thread

bob-texas

Reaction score
I have a 2 hp 27 gpm pump in the pond going to stations with 6 heads that total 18 gpm. This has been working great for 3 years. I recently took a second system off the city water supply and connected it to the pond supply. This system has lots of 1/2 and 1/4 round heads. The pressure is extreme on some of the stations. I thought about connecting 2 stations together in the controller, but read where this could damage the controller. My questions are.....will this overload my pump ? Is there a pressure relief valve that can be installed in the main line to manage the high pressure ? Thanks in advance for any help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump is started from the sprinkler controller you can add a Cycle Stop Valve to hold steady pressure. After the CSV I would install a small pressure relief valve that will only pop up if the controller starts the pump but neglects to turn on the sprinklers, which does happen. The CSV will hold whatever pressure you want on the sprinklers and run a zone as small as about 2 GPM. A pressure relief valve is just for safety as they will quickly wear out if they dump water on a regular basis. Not to mention the pressure relief waste water and energy.

bob-texas

Reaction score
If the pump is started from the sprinkler controller you can add a Cycle Stop Valve to hold steady pressure. After the CSV I would install a small pressure relief valve that will only pop up if the controller starts the pump but neglects to turn on the sprinklers, which does happen. The CSV will hold whatever pressure you want on the sprinklers and run a zone as small as about 2 GPM. A pressure relief valve is just for safety as they will quickly wear out if they dump water on a regular basis. Not to mention the pressure relief waste water and energy.

Thanks Valveman, Home Depot and Lowe's have a small 3/4 " valve. Is this type good enough ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Most 3/4 valves at HD or Lowes will not do the pressure relief job. None of them would do the Cycle Stop Valve job. :rolleyes:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
A water pressure regulator is a good way to manage water pressure. Who would have thought ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks