Question about new clean out installation

Users who are viewing this thread

roadrash

Reaction score
A company dug in my front yard to put in 2 cleanouts, just outside the foundation wall after a sewer backup.
2 weeks later, there was a new backup. The company came out to send a camera in.
When he went to unscrew the PVC cap, the entire fitting began to spin. The PVC fitting is not cemented to the green PVC pipe. He said it was not supposed to be, due to heaving of the soil.
I noticed an identical set of cleanouts nearby, that was obviously cemented together.

Can anyone tell me if the PVC fitting (that houses the cap) is supposed to be cemented to the green pipe?
Also, the caps are only about 1" - 2" above the soil. They are in a flower garden and eventually, plants will grow over them.

Thanks for any input.
Chad

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If teh cleanout has a screw in plug, which it should, then the fitting should be glued to the pipe, BUT, since it is green pipe it is SDR grade and regular fittings do NOT fit it unless they have a bushing adapter. "Heaving of the soil" was his attempt to "dazzle you with his brilliance" or maybe to "baffle you with B.S.".As long as it is above the soil, a plumber will be able to find it. Usually landscapers try to bury them 2" below the soil and then they are almost lost forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks