Question about moving stove line to dryer.

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by enviroko, Aug 25, 2007.

1. enviroko

enviroko New Member

We currently have an electric stove and a gas dryer but we are in the process of installing a gas stove and electric dryer. Here is our situation...

The hot wire that feeds the stove looks like it says 8/3 (old and hard to read).
    The hot wire first connects to a junction box then out to the stove with a 6/3 wire.
    There is already a 10/3 wire ran to the dryer that was disconnected by someone prior to me buying the house.

Question: Can I disconnect the old hot (8/3) from the junction box and connect that to the 10/3 wire to feed the dryer?

Thanks!
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Yes but be sure to change the breaker to a 30
  3. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

you need to have a professianal plumber check out your gas switch over
    a gas dryer is rated at 38,000 btu's a full size gas range is rated at 65,000 btu's gas is "NOT" sized to pressure, but to volume not the right size gas line means you will be sterving a gas appliance some where in the house "which"
    could cause a "CARBON MOXIDE"!!! problem down the road when the furnice and stove, and
    water heater is all running at the same time!!:( :(
    like when you have the whole family over for thinksgiving, or christmas

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER:)
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Also gas stoves require 3/4 pipe to operate properly.
  5. enviroko

enviroko New Member

Unfortunately I still have a fuse box (changing within six months hopefully) and I was unable to find a 30 amp to fit. 35 was the closest. The fuse that was used for the stove was a NON-45 class K5. Can that be replaced with a 30 amp fuse?

I do have 3/4" pipe going all the way to the flex line of the stove but sounds like that doesn't guarantee 65,000 btu's. Is that correct?