Question about Kinetico softener 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
I have a Kinetcio water softener... "60" I believe is the model.

Was in the house I bought about 3 years ago. Has worked pretty well for the time we have been here, but recently I think it developed a "salt bridge". Our water was getting worse, and the toilet, sinks, shower, etc. started getting a rusty deposit on them. Anyway, I researched and figured it might have been a salt bridge, and it was. But just hitting the side of the brine tank didn't do it. It was a pretty solid mass of salt that was at the bottom of the tank, it required me to take out a bunch of salt and break up the big part with a crowbar.

Anyway, our water is slowly returning to normal, it seems. I manually regenerated a few times to help the process.

It got me thinking that I don't really know much about this system. I read the manual and couldn't figure out the question - I have a "3" on the grey disk at the top of the unit. What does that 3 mean? Also, how many gallons should pass though this to start the next cleansing?

Thanks!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The #3 disc is based on the amount of hardness that is in your water. It will start a regen every 400 gallons. The higher the hardness, the higher # disc. I have a manual with the specs and exploded view of the parts. Send me an email and I'll send it to you.

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, sent you a private message.

If the regen starts every 400 gallons, and there seems to be roughly 4 "clicks" in between each one, is each click 100 gallons? The reason I am asking is because I am not sure if the little dot is moving or not. Only been monitoring it a couple days.

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
After a salt bridge, I've had to clean all my toilet tanks out because the hard water was sitting in them leaving sediment everywhere.

But how do I clean the inside of my hot water heater? It's not even possible, is it? I know there is sediment in there because our hot water is discolored (slightly). I've tried to flush the hot water heater twice. It helped just a little bit. It's still definitely dis colored.

Does this mean I need to replace the hot water heater?

Also, will a salt bridge stop the regen cycle from occuring? Or does it still occur, it just doesn't do anything? I was assuming the latter was correct.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
After a salt bridge, I've had to clean all my toilet tanks out because the hard water was sitting in them leaving sediment everywhere.

But how do I clean the inside of my hot water heater? It's not even possible, is it? I know there is sediment in there because our hot water is discolored (slightly). I've tried to flush the hot water heater twice. It helped just a little bit. It's still definitely dis colored.

Does this mean I need to replace the hot water heater?
Easy answer, yes...

What color was the sediment?

But that is not what I did. I removed the anode with a 5/8 pneumatic impact wrench (1-1/16 socket). I drained the tank. Sprayed water around inside to wash out what I could. Drained. Filled and let solution of phosphoric acid sit inside. Flush and spray wash again. Maybe a round of Iron Out-- don't remember. Filled and let solution of dish washing soap sit. Flush and spray wash again, and again, and again and again.
Replaced anode with a powered anode. Used teflon tape, and tightened much less than original -- maybe 10 ft-lb.

So how much messing around do you want to do? How much do you value your time for such things?

Also, will a salt bridge stop the regen cycle from occurring? Or does it still occur, it just doesn't do anything? I was assuming the latter was correct.
Regen cycle will occur regardless.

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
Easy answer, yes...

What color was the sediment?

But that is not what I did. I removed the anode with a 5/8 pneumatic impact wrench (1-1/16 socket). I drained the tank. Sprayed water around inside to wash out what I could. Drained. Filled and let solution of phosphoric acid sit inside. Flush and spray wash again. Maybe a round of Iron Out-- don't remember. Filled and let solution of dish washing soap sit. Flush and spray wash again, and again, and again and again.
Replaced anode with a powered anode. Used teflon tape, and tightened much less than original -- maybe 10 ft-lb.

So how much messing around do you want to do? How much do you value your time for such things?

Thanks for reply. The sediment is a brownish/yellowish thing, much like the look of the inside of the toilet tanks.

I used to live in a area with heavy lime so I know about cleaning hot water tanks out and what a pain it can be. I think I will probably just replace this one as it's about 12 years old. Also I don't think the anode rod has ever been replaced. We bought the house two years ago. So I know there is some corrosion going on in there. I think your average home owner doesn't replace the rod or even know what it is.

Thanks again for the response.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may have rust. Iron out can help clean up the toilet tanks.

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
Yeah iron out did the trick on the toilets, but the water heater got replaced. Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks